CSC8: 8-bit Crazy Small CPU
This repository holds the files for my 8-bit "big brother" CPU to the 4-bit Crazy Small CPU. This is a CPU designed with 7400-style logic chips and some RAM and ROM. The CPU requires only sixteen chips, not including the clock circuitry.
Right now CSC8 is still under development. Have a look at Docs/csc8_design.md for the overall design of the CPU so far.
The files and folders in this repository are:
- Docs, documents on the design and how to use the tools below
- Examples, example programs for the CPU
- cas, the assembler for the CPU
- clc, a very crude compiler that outputs assembly that can be given to cas
- csim, a simulator that can run assembled programs
- gen_alu, a program to generate the contents of the ALU ROM
- journal.txt, my running journal of the design and implementation of CSC8
If you want to leave any comments, feel free to use the GitHub issues page for this purpose.
Here is a diagram of the basic CSC8 architecture: