Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
PLEASE NOTE: MicroWorks website on Alibaba is currently closed. I contacted Mr. Lee from MicroWorks and got an answer saying they will re-arrange their website in Alibaba in June 2017. Anyone can contact him to buy the components, on skype or whatsapp: - 0086-136 6042 4065 ( whatsapp ) - Skype: lizhigang540
EGG Electric Unicycle is a DIY and OpenSource design that can be customized for specific needs (more batteries, powerful motor, lights, etc). Main characteristics of current version:
- Max velocity up to 30km/h (recommended 25km/h)
- 2 battery packs making a total of 264W (range of 20kms on flat roads with a rider of 100kgs)
- 500W motor, 14 inches wheel
- Bluetooth for configuration and reading in real time the speed, current, board temperature, etc
Video "EGG Electric Unicycle - promotion at Makerfaire Lisbon 2016": https://youtu.be/KW8zMBRCQFs
We won a prize with EGG EUC for "One of the best Maker projects of Makerfaire Lisbon 2016". Timelapse of assembly of EGG Electric Unicycle : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWm6CqdjT_s
- if you prefer to buy a ready EUC, you can buy from MicroWorks a model that (may) have the same motor, control board and battery packs: https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/Promotional-340-680wh-battery-GEEKWHEEL-DIY_60490047653.html
- there are other alternative 3D print designs like this one from MattJ (source files: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/shell_MattJ): http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1723980 - See here a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAJHFsctif8
Table of Contents
An Electric Unicycle (EUC) is a small and simple device. It's composed on mainly 3 parts: motor/wheel; electronic board and battery - all the parts can be bought online and it's easy to assembly. The plastic shell can have a custom design and be 3D printed at home or at local 3D printing shop.
Building our own Electric Unicycle have many advantages:
- Customize for your specific needs: more battery packs for more range; more powerful motor for more speed; etc
- Being able to fix it if something broke with time, like exchanging and old battery for a new one
- Save on price: you can build an high range EUC for the price of a lower range
- Customize the colors
There are a few reasons that move us everyday on developing OpenSource technology and knowledge for Electric Unicycles. Our inspiration comes from many successful OpenSource projects like: Wikipedia; Linux; Arduino; RepRap.
We have kids and we want to improve the world for them, the new generations - we really believe in reducing the CO2 emissions for a greener environment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlFdzBimiA4
You can download the EGG app here.
This app should work with Electric Unicycles that uses the MicroWorks 30B4 controller board.
Main features of the app:
- Shows real time speed, trip distance and battery state
- Advanced view shows also motor current, motor voltage and board temperature
- Beep the EUC buzzer
- Horizontal calibration of the wheel
- Calibration of 3 riding modes: Madden, Comfort and Soft
If you don't have an Android, you can try http://www.memuplay.com/ , requires a PC with Bluetooth.
The first stable version of EGG EUC were achieved on Jun 2016.
The motor used is the MicroWorks 500W 30km/h 14" wheel, the board used is the MicroWorks 30B4 and the battery used is a generic electric unicycle pack of 60V. The mechanical parts like the pedals, pedals arms, nuts and bolts, tire and inner tube were all bought from MicroWorks.
The shell were designed using FreeCAD software that is free and OpenSource. The shell were designed to be 3D printed (if you don't have a 3D printer, you can search on your town for an hacker space or such that may provide 3D printing services) and the sources files including the 3D printable files (STL) are available here on github.
After sourcing the parts (see the next part list) you will also need some basic tools like a measuring tape, screwdriver, metal hacksaw, etc.
If you have questions, please post on the forum.
|Component||Units||Price Unit ($)||Link||Notes|
|MicroWorks motor 14 inches 500W 30km/h||1||69||MicroWorks Alibaba||Technical information: Motor MicroWorks 500W 30km h|
|Controller board 30B4 30km/w with bluetooth||1||55||MicroWorks Alibaba||Technical information: MicroWorks 30B4 30kmh controller board with bluetooth|
|Battery Pack 16S 132Wh lithium||2||69||MicroWorks Alibaba||Technical information: Battery|
|Pack of pedals, pedals arms, bolts and nuts||1||35||MicroWorks Alibaba|
|Pack of hall cable, connecting wire and power switch||1||12.5||MicroWorks Alibaba|
|Inner tube 14 inches||1||6||MicroWorks Alibaba|
|Tire 14 inches||1||11||MicroWorks Alibaba|
|EUC 60V charger||1||11||MicroWorks Alibaba|
|8mm threaded shafts and 4 nuts||1||~3||can be found at cheap on local hardware stores|
|4 metal hose clamps||1||~4||can be found at cheap on local hardware stores|
|3D printed parts||1||~20||the parts can be 3D printed at home or at a local hackerspace or 3D printing shop||this files were printed on a RepRap type of Prusa I3 3D printer and the total usage were about 0.8kg|