Data Visualization Project
The data I propose to visualize for my project is USA airports on-time performance data. It was collected from United States Department of Transportation and preprocessed with Python.
Questions & Tasks
The following tasks and questions will drive the visualization and interaction decisions for this project:
- What are the top-5 busiest airports in USA? (only consider the domestic flights)
- How are the top-5 busiest airports perform over time?
- How does USA flights' on-time performance vary over time?
Using bar chart to show the most busiest airport for each State. Clicking on airport name brings us to top-10 busiest flights for that airport.
Data is visualized geographically.
Data is visualized by time to answer question "How does USA carriers' on-time performance vary over time?".
- Map for locations of USA airports.
- This is a USA map showing the location of all airports in USA.
- Each circle represents an airport, and hovering on the circle will show the airport name and state.
- On-time performance of the top-5 busiest airports in USA.
- This radial chart shows the on-time performance of the top-5 busiest airports in USA. "BUSY" is defined by the total number of domestic flights departure from July 2018 to June 2019.
- There is an interactive color legend on the top-right corner. Each color reperesents one airport and hovering on a specifit color will bring the corresponding radial chart of this airport.
- In one radial chart, each angle represents a specific date from 20180701 to 20190630 and the radius shows how long is the average delay at this airport (in minutes).
- Choose a different map, so that I can add Alaska and Hawaii into the map.
- Add a radius axes on the radial chart, which enables us to read the precise delay time more clearly.
- Combine the map and radial chart together and build interaction between, clicking on an airport on the map will bring you the corresponding on-time performance radial chart.