Using SVG drawings to make light paintings using a custom large RGB light based non-orthongal plotter.
Do you want to make videos like this ???
But physically moving a light quickly is difficult for you?
We are building a system to help. It will allow you to animate on your laptop and have a mechansism do the physical moving of the lights.
This uses the following technologies:-
- Raspberry Pi
- Adafruit Stepper Motor HAT https://www.adafruit.com/product/2348
- SVG Scalable Vector Graphics
- Out version of vPiP https://github.com/EduMake/vPiP
You will prepare the animation and at shooting time set up a frame (we are prototyping with a 2.5m x 4m Chromakey background frame). Attach our vPlotter mounts, beaded cord and lights.
Our custon vPlotter Mount
Currently in Development.
The Proposed Process
- Install our software and hardware on a raspberry pi
- Use SVG editing software to draw your characters
- Use inkscape etc. to layout your scenes
- Use Anigen to animate those scenes http://anigen.org/versions/0_8_1/
- Line colours and widths should be picked up by the lights on the vplotter
- Export the animation as zip file of indvidual frames
- Set up our custom, large format light v-plotter, using our parts and a frame.
- Set up camera and raspberry pi control box
- Run through setup procedure in software
- Using your laptop / tablet / phone you will then trigger each frame to be lightpainted whilst the camera takes the shot
- The images are then compiled into a movie file.