Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
For years, ISP have been using BGP and custom code to perform BGP route injections. ExaBGP was designed to be that tool, a BGP based SDN application which does not get in the way.
ExaBGP is a versatile tool which is best suited for :
- providing cross data centers failover solutions migrating /32 service IP.
- mitigating network attacks, centrally deploying network level filters (blackhole and/or flowspec)
- gathering network information ( using BGP-LS, or BGP with Add-Path)
It is used on our (Exa Networks) own network to make our services resilient to localised problems and to inject Flow routes when we are under DDOS.
Like every application, the software is not without fault but has seen large scale deployment.
Learn more about it
You should read about the following use cases presented below to see how it could help you:
- High Availability with ExaBGP Vincent Bernat, September 2013
- FlowSpec with ExaBGP Frédéric Gabut-Deloraine, December 2011
- The benefits of BGP for every service provider Thomas Mangin, March 2011
- Stop buying load balancers ... Allan Feid, May 2014
- Global Routing with Anycasted DNS. Teardown: NSONE Chris Ueland, November 2014.
A list of all the wiki pages.
The configuration format of ExaBGP changed between 3.4 and 4.0 - more information here