Clone this wiki locally
Note that a "remote code execution as Exim run-time user" vulnerability can be combined with a privilege escalation attack to become even more serious.
CVE-2016-9963 fixed in 4.88 and in 4.87.1. If several conditions are met, Exim may leak the private DKIM key to the main log and if even more conditions are met, to the sender of the message. For details please read CVE-2016-9963. If you use a distro package of Exim, you may find it has been fixed even for older-numbered releases.
CVE-2016-1531 fixed in 4.86.2. If Exim loads the Perl interpreter during startup, a privilege escalation was possible. For details please read CVE-2016-1531. If you use a distro package of Exim, it may be fixed even for older releases.
CVE-2015-0235 is a glibc bug, affecting multiple applications on platforms which use glibc for their system C library; this was a problem with
gethostbyname()functions. The security advisory referenced Exim as an exploit vector for remote access. The fix is to update glibc; workarounds include disabling configuration directives which enable the HELO checking which exposes the vulnerability. See https://lists.exim.org/lurker/message/20150127.200135.056f32f2.en.html for our advisory on this.
- CVE-2014-2972 fixed in 4.83: mathematical comparison functions were expanding args twice. Impact: local code execution if specific mathematical comparison functions were performing data lookups from user controlled data.
- CVE-2014-2957 fixed in 4.82.1, introduced in 4.82: used untrusted data when parsing the From header in Experimental DMARC code and allowed macro expansion. Details post
- CVE-2012-5671 fixed in 4.80.1, introduced in 4.70: buffer overflow vulnerability in DKIM DNS response processing. Impact: remote code execution as Exim run-time user. Details post
- CVE-2011-1764 fixed in 4.76, introduced in 4.70: format string attack in DKIM processing. Impact: remote code execution as Exim run-time user. Bugzilla 1106.
- CVE-2011-1407 fixed in 4.76, introduced in 4.70: flaw in handling DKIM DNS records. Impact: remote code execution as Exim run-time user
- CVE-2011-0017 fixed in 4.73: return values of setuid()/setgid() not checked; only an issue on Linux. Impact: privilege escalation from Exim run-time user to root
- CVE-2010-4345 fixed in 4.73: Exim privilege escalation from Exim run-time user to root via configuration overrides
- CVE-2010-2023 fixed in 4.72: Hardlink attack via sticky mbox directory. Impact: overwrite files of target user on same partition as mbox directory. Bugzilla 988.
- CVE-2010-2024 fixed in 4.72: Symlink attack in /tmp for MBX locking algorithm. Bugzilla 989.
- CVE-2010-4344 fixed in 4.70: buffer overflow in string_format(). Impact: remote code execution as Exim run-time user. Bugzilla 787.