The FSC Identikit
We now have a forum. Join us there to ask for help using Identikit, help with creating resources, discuss features, bugs, or anything else related to the software.
To get started quickly, follow our Quickstart Guide.
The FSC Identikit is a framework for creating online biological identification resources, including multi-access keys. The genesis of the project was the Field Studies Council's (FSC) Tomorrow's Biodiversity project (funded by Esmée Fairbairn 2013-2017 inclusive). Esmée Fairbairn funded a further year's development of the Identikit (covering 2018) to facilitate rolling the work forward into the HLF-funded FSC BioLinks project which runs from 2018 to 2022 inclusive. The Field Studies Council is a UK-based environmental education charity. We are committed to moving FSC Identikit forward as an open-source collaborative venture.
(Prior to March 2018, The FSC Identikit was referred to as 'The Tom.bio ID Visualisation Framework', or variations thereof.)
Try it out
Try the software out:
The repostitory can be cloned thus:
git clone https://github.com/FieldStudiesCouncil/tombiovis.git.
If the clone fails, try the following:
git clone https://github.com/FieldStudiesCouncil/tombiovis.git --depth 1 --no-single-branch.
The second git command clones the repostiory with a truncated history. This should be fine for most purposes.
All documentation for this project is found in the 'documentation' sub-folder and includes the following:
- Quickstart Guide
- Getting started (more detailed than the Quickstart Guide)
- Building a knowledge-base (essential guide for knowledge-base developers)
- Deploying your resources (how to make your ID resources available to other people)
- Character scoring (only for those who want more detail on Identikit's mechanism for scoring with multi-access keys)
- Notes for coders (only for programmers who want to extend or contribute to the Identikit)
We are also working on moving the documentation online so that it will be available here. Currently the following is available: