A subclass of the Robofont Editing Tool, Bounding Tool helps you visualize the bounding box of your current glyph. It will also display the box's dimensions, thanks to Nina Stössinger. You can use the division sliders if you are trying to center something, or divide something evenly into halves, thirds, or quarters.
Note: I changed some things that might cause the icon to disappear when you install the new version. Please uninstall previous versions of Bounding Tool (listed in Prefs > Extensions > Extensions), quit RoboFont, reopen RoboFont, and finally, double-click or drag to install the latest extension). Sorry about that!
The dialog box gives you some options:
- View All or Selected
- Toggle between getting the bounding box for the entire glyph vs. the current selection. The entire glyph is useful for centering accents, etc.
- Use Italic
- Use the font's italic angle to display a slanted bounding box.
- View X and/or Y (checkboxes)
- Toggle on/off the x and y axis.
- Number of Divisions
- Choose whether to split the bounding box into halves, thirds, or quarters, or to not split it.
- Show Coordinates
- Toggle the display of bounding coordinates.
- Show Dimensions
- Toggle the display of the bounding box's dimensions.
- Div Guides
- Convert the current divisions into guides, which will stick around after the tool is deactivated.
- Box Guides
- Convert the bounding box square into guides, which will stick around after the tool is deactivated.
This is released under the MIT license. See the the html file inside the extension for more information.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.