APIs for Journalism workshop.
In this workshop you will learn how to source content from APIs and render the media in the browser. Such a tool can be used to create a content dashboard, reader, or media rich article.
1 Sourcing Content
You will make queries to the following APIs to source content. Sever calls will be made with node and saved to flat files.
- Search - https://dev.twitter.com/docs/api/1.1/get/search/tweets
- Trending Topics by Geo - https://dev.twitter.com/docs/api/1.1/get/trends/place
- Reddit - Go to subreddit url and append.json
- Subreddit - http://www.reddit.com/r/videos.json
- Article Search - http://developer.nytimes.com/docs/read/article_search_api_v2
- Popular - http://developer.nytimes.com/docs/most_popular_api/
2 Rendering content
Next you will create an interface to render the media you retrieved in the first part of the workshop. You will read the files and parse for the URLs. You will display the media as a dashboard, reader, or article with Embedly.
- Bootstrap for the layout - http://getbootstrap.com/
- Cards for rendering URLs - embed.ly/docs/products/cards
For those who finish the first two parts, you can further explore the APIs to customize your app.