If you're using FusionAuth and your first language is not English, we can use your help! We are shipping support for localized login pages and while our users can localize themselves, we would like to provide a base of languages to use when building out your theme or localization strategy.
If you'd like to contribute, feel free to submit a PR or open an issue so we can discuss how you can help!
- @markschmid Initial support for German. Danke!
- @Jeannot-Muller for the additions and fixes!
- @pawpro Initial support for Polish. Dzięki!
- @pigletto for the additions and fixes!
- @jerryhopper Initial support for Dutch. Bedankt!
- @Fahrenholz Initial support for French. Merci!
- @Loketony Initial support for Swedish. Tack!
- @veturi Initial support for Finnish. Kiitos!
- @wijse Initial support for Danish. Tak!
- @Loketony Initial support for Russion. Благодарность!
- @Loketony Initial support for Ukrainian. Спасибі!
- @lamuertepeluda Initial support for Italian. Grazie!
- @lluisgener Initial support for Spanish. Gracias!
- @einar-lanfranco for the edits and fixes!
- @rapcal Initial support for Portuguese (Brazilian). Obrigado!
- @rubensflinco for the edits and fixes!
- @kevinadhiguna Initial support for Indonesian (Indonesia). Terima kasih!
- @kevinadhiguna Initial support for Japanese. ありがとうございました！
- @zahertalab Initial support for Arabic. اشكرشكرًا لكك
- @10935336 Initial support for Simplified Chinese. 谢谢
- @krystofremes Initial support for Czech. Děkuji
- The FusionAuth team - couldn't have done it without you!
For languages listed in the wanted section, start with the
theme/message.properties as a base, and rename it by adding a country code suffix. The wanted section outlines the country code and filename per language. If the language you are translating is not listed there simply find your two character country code and append it to follow the pattern below.
If there is already a
theme/message_xx.properties file for your language you will find a
missing-translations/message_xx.properties file that lists only those messages that are missing from the base theme. Use this file to find the missing messages and add them to the base theme file for you language. You don't have to add new messages in any particular place, you can add them to the bottom and once finished you can run the
update.rb ruby script (or we can run it for you) to reorganize the base
/theme file and update the
It is not required that you translate every message, when a message is not translated FusionAuth will fall back to the default message in the theme. This is generally English unless you have modified the default messages in your theme.
As FusionAuth adds new messages they will not (currently) be automatically added to any of these translated files. This means these messages will only be displayed in English until translated. As mentioned you can find missing translations in the
Additional translation guidelines and rules you can find in the section General and Language Specific Translation Guidelines
If you are submitting a PR to this repository, please do not add any values to the base
messages.properties file. If you find anyplace in a theme where there is a message key that is used but it is not in
messages.properties please file an issue in our issues repo specifying the keys that you'd like to be added to the file. The FusionAuth team will need to add those keys to a properties file managed in a different repository and will track doing so via the submitted issue. If you are managing your own
messages.properties file and don't care about upstreaming translations to this repository, this note does not apply.
This is just a suggested list, please feel free to contribute whatever you can!
We're happy to pay you for your efforts; if you can contribute a new quality translation we can send you $50 as a token of our appreciation, join the forum and let us know so we can send a gift your way.
- Chinese (Taiwan) - theme/message_zh_TW.properties
- Greek - theme/message_el.properties
- Hindi - theme/message_hi.properties
- Korean - theme/message_ko.properties
- Norwegian - theme/message_no.properties
- Punjabi - theme/message_pa.properties
The theme folder contains translations that can be used in a FusionAuth theme. The missing translations folder contains a list of messages that are in the
message.properties file (English) that are missing from the language indicated by the country code suffix (e.g.
_it for Italian).
theme ├── message.properties English ├── message_ar.properties Arabic ├── message_cz.properties Czech ├── message_da.properties Danish ├── message_de_AT.properties German (Austria) ├── message_de_BE.properties German (Belgium) ├── message_de_CH.properties German (Switzerland) ├── message_de_DE.properties German (Germany) ├── message_de_IT.properties German (Italy) ├── message_de_LI.properties German (Liechtenstein) ├── message_de_LU.properties German (Luxembourg) ├── message_es.properties Spanish ├── message_fi.properties Finnish ├── message_fr.properties French ├── message_id_ID.properties Indonesian (Indonesia) ├── message_it.properties Italian ├── message_ja.properties Japanese ├── message_nl.properties Dutch ├── message_pl.properties Polish ├── message_pt_BR.properties Portuguese (Brazilian) ├── message_ru.properties Russian ├── message_sv.properties Swedish ├── message_ua.properties Ukrainian missing-translations ├── message_ar.properties Arabic ├── message_da.properties Danish ├── message_es.properties Spanish ├── message_fi.properties Finnish ├── message_fr.properties French ├── message_id_ID.properties Indonesian (Indonesia) ├── message_it.properties Italian ├── message_ja.properties Japanese ├── message_nl.properties Dutch ├── message_pl.properties Polish ├── message_pt_BR.properties Portuguese (Brazilian) ├── message_ru.properties Russian ├── message_sv.properties Swedish ├── message_ua.properties Ukrainian
First, find the language translation you want.
- Clone this project.
- Copy the contents of one of the message properties files.
Next, update your theme.
- Log in to the FusionAuth administrative user interface.
- If you only have the default theme, make a copy. The default theme is immutable.
- Edit your theme.
- Navigate to the "Messages" tab.
- Select "Add localization"
- Set the "Locale" to the language.
- Paste in the contents of the messages properties file.
- Click "Submit"
- Click the blue save icon to save the theme.
- Update your tenant to use the new theme.
Test it out:
- Navigate to your FusionAuth instance and provide a locale in one of the supported manners.
Not all translations are up to date. Where there are missing messages, the default English text will be displayed.
Please feel free to contribute any fixes or additional translations for missing messages as well!
This section documents basic guidelines and rules for a consistent translation across all properties as well as within the different languages.
Please be aware that any comments within the .properties files itself will be overwritten by the original messages.properties when you run the
update.rb ruby script. And therefore document any of these comments in this section of the README.
- Some languages have the notion of formal vs informal address, where the appropriate choice depends on the context and the relationship between the speaker and listeners. This is a complex problem, so the FusionAuth locale files default to the formal choice. Please feel free to modify the locale files as needed.
- The formal greetings and wording is used no matter the assumed age.
- Make sure to follow the Locale differences, most obvious one the use of Sharp S (ß) instead of double-s (ss)
passkeydoes not have a German translation and only gets capitalized:
Two-Factorgets translated to:
logingets translated to:
logoutgets translated to:
registergets translated to:
magic linkdoes not have a German translation and only gets capitalized:
authenticator appgets translated to:
accountgets translated to:
applicationgets translated to:
- Vendor products or services like APIs (e.g.
OpenID Connect Token API) don't get translated unless it can be found with the vendor.
- Dont Locale the number format
two-factor-get-code-at-sms, as it's unlikely to 100% match the different German-speaking countries. Instead we use
Erhalten Sie einen Code unter der Nummer mit der Endung