GIFEE is "Google's infrastructure for everyone else"
Joseph Jacks has put together a good reference to the mapping between Google and OSS tech.
Here's some papers to read. We'll be basing our tech off these starting with 2006 technologies.
- The Google File System
- The Chubby Lock Service for Loosely-Coupled Distributed Systems
- Bigtable: A Distributed Storage System for Structured Data
- MapReduce: Simplified Data Processing on Large Clusters
- Dapper, a Large-Scale Distributed Systems Tracing Infrastructure
- Large-scale cluster management at Google with Borg
- Megastore: Providing Scalable, Highly Available Storage for Interactive Services
- Spanner: Google’s Globally-Distributed Database
- Maglev: A Fast and Reliable Software Network Load Balancer
Here's a list of existing projects based on or related to GIFEE
- Kubernetes Production-Grade Container Scheduling and Management
- Nomad A Distributed, Highly Available, Datacenter-Aware Scheduler
- Mesos A distributed systems kernel
- Prometheus Systems monitoring and alerting toolkit
- HBase A distributed, scalable, big data store
- CockroachDB A Scalable, Survivable, Strongly-Consistent SQL Database
- TiDB A distributed HTAP database compatible with MySQL protocol
Follow on twitter at @gifeecloud
What does GIFEE mean?
GIFEE is an acronym for Google's Infrastructure for Everyone Else.
It's a term which has become a reference for open source equivalents of Google's technology.
What is this repo?
GitHub/GIFEE is a place to experiment with ideas based on Google's infrastructure and for reference architectures.
What will be built?
GIFEE will be a reference architecture for cloud-native based on Google technology.
Will it be hosted?
GIFEE projects will likely be hosted at gifee.cloud
Will it be Open Source?
Yes all GIFEE projects will be open source
Can we contribute?
Yes. Whether it be reference architectures, docs, images, whatever. Please join in on the fun.