This documentation is a work in progress.
Please apologize for non already existing page but don't miss the opportunity to contribute by doing your own pull request.
Go further by learning how to contribute to the main development.
Geotrek-rando is FLOSS dedicated to display geographic and touristic contents.
These contents may be provided by linking this app either to the API of a Geotrek-admin instance or directly to static datas generated by a Geotrek-admin instance (Cf. [data source]).
The first version (v1) was builded on top of Django framework, like Geotrek-admin. But maintaining such a backend application was a kind of lose of time with no added value. Since the second version, Geotrek-rando is now a [Rich Internet application][RIA] which has a very small hosting footprint.
As Geotrek-rando works as a [SPA], you only need an http server like [Nginx] or Apache. (Cf. http server)
Building environment could be either the same as your http server, or a local machine from which you'll sync generated files to the main server instance
* In recent versions of Geotrek-rando, you'll find the recommended version of Node JS into the
.nvmrc file in the root directory of the project.
Some npm packages used for tests may need a build environment for compiling platform specific binaries. On debian-like environments,
build-essential should satisfy this requirements.
See contribute section for more details about participating to Geotrek-rando development.
Install and update
See install & update for details.
Settings & customization
Most of the settings (mainly everything about contents) has to be done directly in Geotrek-admin, but some parameters regarding Geotrek-rando have to be set up in a specific file. (Cf. Settings)
There is also a way to adjust the look and feel of the user interface by creating some specific files which will be used in place of defaults. For exemple: you could have your own header or footer files allowing you to include new elements without having to make change* to Geotrek-rando core files. (Cf. Customization)
* Making changes to core files of Geotrek-rando could prevent the possibility of upgrading it without losing your changes.
If you're wondering what means Libre in FLOSS, it essentially imply four freedoms :
- The freedom to run the program for any purpose.
- The freedom to study how the program works, and change it to make it do what you wish.
- The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.
- The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements (and modified versions in general) to the public, so that the whole community benefits.
[Nginx]: http://nginx.org/) [node]: https://nodejs.org/ "NodeJS" [RIA]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Internet_application [SPA]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-page_application "Single Page Application"