Get Together is an open source event manager for local communities.
Get Together is version 0.8.0.
Try it free at https://gettogether.community
- Be feature-competitive with Meetup.com
- Allow multiple instances to share federated event data
- Provide sustainable, cost-effective hosting for FOSS communites
- Be developed and maintained by the communities using it
To start running the service use the following commands:
virtualenv --python=python3 ./env ./env/bin/pip install -r requirements.txt ./env/bin/python manage.py migrate ./env/bin/python manage.py createsuperuser ./env/bin/python manage.py runserver
Loading City data
In order to make it easier to create Places and Teams without having to manually enter records for Country, SPR (State/Province/Region) and City, you can preload them using data files from http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/
load_cities commands will only load data if the
parent country (or SPR for cities) exists in the database. This lets you choose
whether you want to load every city, only cities for select countries, or only
for select SPRs.
Download the countryInfo.txt file from GeoNames, then run:
./env/bin/python manage.py load_countries countryInfo.txt
Download the admin1CodesASCII.txt file from GeoNames, then run:
./env/bin/python manage.py load_spr admin1CodesASCII.txt
You have a few choices for City data files. GeoNames provides data files for cities with more than 15,000 residents, cities with more than 5,000 residents, and cities with more than 1,000 residents. The smaller the number, the more cities there will be in the data file (and the longer it will take to import them all).
Download the file you want from the links above. They will be zip files that you must unzip before using. Then import the cities by running (for your downloaded file):
./env/bin/python manage.py load_cities cities15000.txt
docker build -t get_together . docker run -e "DEBUG_MODE=True" -e "SECRET_KEY=xxxxx" -e "ALLOWED_HOSTS=localhost,127.0.0.1" -d --name get_together -p 8000:8000 get_together docker exec -it get_together python3 manage.py createsuperuser
docker-compose up -d docker-compose exec get_together python3 manage.py createsuperuser
You can then connect to the container by going to localhost:8000
You can import live event data into your "Searchable" table with this command:
./env/bin/python manage.py import https://gettogether.community/searchables/
To contibute to Get Together, you can file issues here on GitHub, work on features you want it to have, or contact us on Gitter to learn more.
Currently the project needs:
- We need a color scheme for the website
- We need a logo for the project
- We need user stories and mockups for those pages
- Front-end developers
- We need to pick a JS/CSS framework for the front-end
- We need to Django page templates
- We need to know what APIs are needed for a dynamic front-end
- QA Engineers
- We need Django test cases setup
- We need fuzz-testing setup with something like model-mommy
- We want testing automated on github pull requests
- API/Federation experts
- We need to decide on using AppStream or rolling our own data/protocol
- We need to architect what data will be federated and it's use cases
- We need to support authenticated access to APIs for 3rd party apps
- We need a way to easily deploy and update GetTogether in production
- We need an easy way to get a development environment up and running
- We need to find a hosting service for gettogether.community
If you can help with any of these, please get in touch with me!