CodeCareer Discord Bot
We created this Discord bot to not only provide some useful functionality for the CodeCareer community Discord server, but to also help new developers on their journey to landing a full-time position in tech by providing the opportunity and guidance a new developer needs to make their first real world contribution to open-source projects such as this one.
Visit the wiki to see a list of all current commands. https://github.com/GitCodeCareer/discord-bot/wiki/Commands
Getting started with your first pull request (PR) is easy! Just follow these steps...
- Fork the repository to your own Github account.
- Clone the forked repository to a directory on your computer.
npm installfrom within the directory. If you prefer Yarn, feel free to use that instead.
- Create a new development bot at https://discordapp.com/developers/applications/. Be sure to also create a bot user in order to interact with it.
- Create a new project at https://console.firebase.google.com/. Go to Settings then Add an application and under Firebase SDK snippet, choose CDN. Copy/Paste correct values in
- Duplicate the
.env.examplefile and rename it to
.envand fill in the appropriate values from the Discord Developer portal and from Firebase Console
- To test the bot, run
- Make sure to debug the new command and test it a lot. If you need help, ask in the CodeCareer Discord anytime! Use the #open-source-
😺channel. When you are ready to submit the PR, head back to this page and click
New pull request.
- Wait patiently for an admin to look it over and if everything checks out, it will be merged.