A fast, customizable and compatible open source Minecraft server.
The main goals of the project are to provide a lightweight implementation of the Spigot API and Minecraft server where exact vanilla functionality is not needed or higher performance is desired than the official software can deliver. Glowstone makes use of a thread-per-world model and performs synchronization only when necessitated by the Spigot API.
Glowstone has a few key advantages over CraftBukkit:
- It is 100% open source. While CraftBukkit and most other mods are open source, they rely on decompiled Minecraft source code. Glowstone's code is completely original.
- Because of this, it is easy to contribute to Glowstone's development. The barrier of entry to contributions is lower because there is no need to work around decompiled source or maintain a minimal diff.
- Glowstone supports all plugins written for the Bukkit and Spigot API natively. In practice, some plugins may try to make use of parts of the API which are not yet implemented, but in a completed state Glowstone would support all Bukkit plugins.
- Glowstone's simplicity affords it a performance improvement over CraftBukkit and other servers, making it especially suited for situations where a large amount of players must be supported but vanilla game features are not needed.
However, there are several drawbacks:
- Glowstone is not finished. Nothing is guaranteed to work, though many things are likely to. If in doubt, file an issue.
- Bukkit plugins which expect the presence of CraftBukkit-specific code
(that are in the
net.minecraft.serverpackages) will not work on Glowstone unless they are designed to fail gracefully.
- Glowstone is not produced by the Bukkit team, and while we do make an effort to produce quality work, Glowstone does not undergo the same rigorious testing as the Bukkit project.
For a current list of features, check the wiki.
If you don't want to build from source, pre-built jar files are available to download from:
Direct gserv.me download - recommended, direct link to latest build
gserv.me - all builds, no login required
CircleCI - click the latest build and then open the "Artifacts" tab (you must be logged in for this to show)
git clone https://github.com/GlowstoneMC/Glowstone cd Glowstone
The final jar will be placed in
Running Glowstone is simple because its dependencies are shaded into the output
jar at compile time. Simply execute
java -jar glowstone.jar along with any
extra JVM options desired. A variety of command-line options are also available -
java -jar glowstone.jar --help for more information.
By default, configuration is stored in the
config/ subdirectory and logs
are stored in the
logs/ subdirectory. The main configuration file is
config/glowstone.yml, which replaces CraftBukkit's
bukkit.yml. Settings from these two files will be copied over to Glowstone's
configuration during the default configuration generation process.
Glowstone uses JLine for console input and colored console output. The JLine console can be disabled in the configuration if a flat console is desired.
For those of you who just want to play on a Glowstone server, we have one available
for testing at
mc.glowstone.net. Have fun!
Docs and Support
The best place to receive support is on GitHub issues. When reporting bugs, please retest and include whether the problem reproduces on:
Javadocs for Glowstone can be found here.
- The Minecraft Coalition and
#mcdevs- protocol and file formats research.
- The Bukkit team for their outstandingly well-designed plugin API.
- The SpigotMC team for updating and enhancing the Bukkit plugin API.
- The SpongePowered Team for creating the Sponge API.
- Trustin Lee - author of the Netty library.
- Graham Edgecombe - author of the original Lightstone.
- Tad Hardesty and all the contributors to Glowstone Legacy.
- All the people behind Maven and Java.
- Notch and Mojang - for making such an awesome game in the first place!
Glowstone is open-source software released under the MIT license. Please see
LICENSE file for details.
Glowkit is open-source software released under the GPL license. Please see
LICENSE.txt file in the Glowkit repository for details.