This project is no longer actively developed or maintained.
For new work on this check out this sample.
Build a mobile app using Firebase and App Engine flexible environment
This repository contains the Android client sample code for the Build a Mobile App Using Firebase and App Engine Flexible Environment solution. You can find the sample code for the backend in the firebase-appengine-backend repository.
- Sign up for Firebase and create a new project in the Firebase console.
- Deploy your backend according to the instructions in the firebase-appengine-backend repository.
Note: Firebase is a Google product, independent from Google Cloud Platform.
Build and test environment:
- Android Studio 4.0.1 from the stable channel.
- Android 8.1 (API Level 27) emulator.
- Sign in to the Firebase console and select your backend project.
- In the Develop section, select Authentication.
- In the Authentication page, select Sign-in Method.
- Select and enable the Google sign-in provider.
- Get your development environment SHA-1 fingerprints.
- Provide the following information in your Firebase project settings:
- App nickname: PlayChat
- Package name: com.google.cloud.solutions.flexenv
- SHA certificate fingerprints: Your development environment SHA-1 fingerprints from the previous step.
- Download the
google-services.jsonfile to the root directory of the
appmodule in your Android project.
Launch and test
- Start your emulator and run the app.
- Sign in with a Google account.
- Select a channel from top-left menu and enter messages.
The following screenshot shows messages displayed in the app:
This sample supports speech messages that are automatically translated to the device language. For more information, see Enable speech translation with Machine Learning technologies on Google Cloud Platform.
Copyright 2018 Google LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS-IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
This is not an official Google product.