An extension for Inkscape to create a "Connect the Dots" picture.
What is Connect the Dots?
An image where you have numbered dots which you need to connect to reveal the hidden image. It is a fun activity for kids and grown-ups as well.
Note: Currently, Connect the Dots extension places not all the numbers optimally, so some manual adjustment may be necessary.
- Copy connectthedots.inx and connectthedots.py into your share/inkscape/extension folder (may require admin rights.)
- (re)-start Inkscape.
- You will find a new entry in Extensions > Generate from Path > Create Connect the Dots.
- Import the image you want to make into a Connect the Dots picture into Inkscape.
- Draw a path using Draw Bezier Curves and Straight Lines (Shift+F6) on the outline of the desired image part (Hint: Lock layer with the image in it.)
- Select one or more paths.
- Go to Extensions > Generate from Path > Create Connect the Dots. Note: the Connect the Dots extension will enumerate the dots starting at 1 for each path separately!
- Adjust Options and click Apply - Use Live preview if you are unsure about some options.
- Hide all parts of the image you don't want included in your Connect the Dots picture.
- Optional: Adjust position of vertices and numbers if desired.
- Export image to a raster graphics.
- Print and have fun!