- Linus Torvalds.
- Git was initially designed and developed by Linus Torvalds for Linux kernel development.
- GitHub: online repository hosting for Git.
- Who uses GitHub? Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft, VMWare, RedHat, Linkedin, Mozilla.
- GitHub and Git uses GitHub.
- Centralized vs. distributed SCM. 1
- Pros. and cons. of each. 1
- Why Git? 1, 2
- Setup on Linux. How to configure username, email, proxy. 1, 2
- Basics of Git.
git merge. 1
- What happens when two users modify the same file? What if they modify the same line? Merge conflict resolution.
- (Optional) Setting up a visual difftool and mergetool. Meld / KDiff3.
- Working with remotes, basics of talking to GitHub.
git push. 1
git flow. A successful Git branching model., 1
- (Optional) Git aliases.
- GitHub for Windows. Includes a fully functional version of msysGit — no need to install anything extra. 1
- GitHub for Mac. 1
- GitHub is not only for source codes. GitHub wikis. Documents (e.g. https://github.com/diveintomark/diveintopython3).
- Got 15 minutes and want to learn Git?
- A good place to learn Git.
- Git cheat sheet and best practices.
"And then realize that nothing is perfect. Git is just closer to perfect than any other SCM out there." - Linus