The Hitchhiker's Guide to Hitchhiking the World
Hitchwiki is a collaborative website for gathering information about hitchhiking and other ways of extremely cheap ways of transport. It is maintained by many active hitchhikers all around the world. We have information about how to hitch out of big cities, how to cover long distances, maps and many more tips.
How to help
Contact us if you want to join the effort!
Read more about developing Hitchwiki from the wiki
Install and start hacking Hitchwiki
- A GNU/Linux or OS X machine. Let us know if this works with Cygwin.
- Install VirtualBox (...because)
- Install Vagrant (docs)
- Make sure you have
gitinstalled on your system.
- No need to set up a VM manually, install script will take care of that.
- Clone the repo:
git clone https://github.com/Hitchwiki/hitchwiki.git && cd hitchwiki
bash scripts/vagrant/install.sh. Make sure not to leave out the
- Install will ask for your password to add "hitchwiki.dev" to your hosts file.
To skip this and use http://192.168.33.10/ instead,
config.hostmanager.enabled = falseat Vagrant file and copy
configs/settings.iniand change domain also from there before installing. You can modify your sudoers file to stop Vagrant asking for password each time.
- Open http://hitchwiki.dev/ in your browser.
After setup your virtual machine is running. Suspend the virtual machine by typing
When you're ready to begin working again, just run
Install script will do the following:
- Install Vagrant hostmanager plugin
- Setup Vagrant box
- Download and extract Mediawiki
- Install dependencies with Composer
- Create a database and configure MediaWiki
- Import pages from
- Create three users
- Install Parsoid
Pre-created users (user/pass)
- Admin: Hitchwiki / autobahn
- Bot: Hitchbot / autobahn
- User: Hitchhiker / autobahn
Export Semantic structure
If you do changes to Semantic structures (forms, templates etc), you should export those files by running:
Import Semantic structure
This is done once at install, but needs to be done each time somebody changes content inside
./scripts/pages/. It can be done by running:
- Enable debugging mode by setting
debug = truefrom
./configs/settings.ini. You'll then see SQL and PHP warnings+errors.
- Use Debugging toolbar by setting get/post/cookie variable
hw_debug = 1.
- See EventLogging extension
- Pull latest changes:
git pull origin master
- Run update script:
- Run re-install script:
We're using Scotchbox.
SSH into Vagrant
From the app
Only via SSH Forwarding.
Clean Vagrant box
If for some reason you want to have clean Scotchbox, database and MediaWiki installed, run:
vagrant destroy && vagrant up
Update Vagrant box
Although not necessary, if you want to check for updates, just type:
vagrant box outdated
It will tell you if you are running the latest version or not of the box. If it says you aren't, simply run:
vagrant box update
Setting up production environment
Our custom MediaWiki extensions:
Our fork of an abandoned extension: