Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Course Scipion in the cloud: practical advance aspects
Working with EBS
In this practical work we will perform the typical operations with EBS volumes
Create an EBS volume:
- Login to AWS console with your user (i2pc-course-x)
- Go to EC2 services
- Select Volumes on the left side menu
- Check the availability zone of your instance
- Select 'Add tags' and add a tag called Name equal to 'i2pc-volume-x' (replace x by your user number)
- Click on 'Create Volume'
- Set Volume size to 1 GB and Availability Zone to the one of your instance (IMPORTANT)
- Click on 'Create volume' button
Attach a volume to an instance
- Select your volume (named i2pc-training-volume-x)
- Click on 'Actions' and select 'Attach volume'
- Wait till it finishes attaching (refresh)
- Go to your 'Instances' and start your instance (i2pc-machine-x)
- Wait till it finishes starting and login through VNC
- Format the volume (attached to xvdf)
sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/xvdf
- Create a directory where to mount it, for instance
sudo mkdir /volume-2
- Mount it
sudo mount /dev/xvdf /volume-2
Detach a volume from an instance
- First you should stop the machine
- Click on 'Actions' and select 'Detach volume'
Clone this wiki locally
Press h to open a hovercard with more details.