Design and prototype customized UI, interaction, navigation, transition and animation for App Store ready Apps in Interface Builder with IBAnimatable.
The app was made in Interface Builder with
IBAnimatable without a single line of code. Due to the size of the GIF file on Dribbble, it only demonstrates a subset of features. We can also find the full HD version on YouTube or MP4 on Github
- 100% compatible with
IBAnimatableAPIs are extensions of
UIKit. No pollutions to
- 100% compatible with Auto Layout and Size Classes. No custom layout system.
- User interface design and preview in IB: corner radius, border, mask, shadow, gradient colors, tint color, blur effect etc.
- Animation design in IB: slide in/out, fade in/out, zoom in/out, flip, pop, shake, rotate, move etc.
- Transition design in IB: fade, slide, flip, cube, portal, fold, explosion etc.
- Interactive gesture design in IB: pan, screen edge pan, pinch etc.
- Presentation design in IB: flip, cover, zoom, dropdown etc.
- Activity indicator design in IB: ball beat, ball rotate, cube transition, Pacman etc.
Here is the full design in a Storyboard in Interface Builder.
IBAnimatable, we can design a UI in Interface Builder like what we can do in Sketch, and prototype animations in a Swift playground like what we can do in Framer. Also, we can use the output of the design directly in the production ready App.
As a designer, we love Sketch, which is a simple but yet super powerful tool to create UI. However, Sketch can't design interaction, navigation, transition and animation, and we may need another tool like Framer to design some of them. Moreover, to make an App Store ready App, we need to use Xcode and Interface Builder to implement the UI and animations. To speed up the process and minimize the waste, we create
IBAnimatable to make Interface Builder designable and animatable.
IBAnimatable 3.0 is the latest major release of IBAnimatable. This version follows Swift 3 API Design Guidelines and contains a lot of breaking changes from version 2.x. Please check out [IBAnimatable 3.0 Migration Guide](Documentation/IBAnimatable 3.0 Migration Guide.md) for more information about how to migrate your project to 3.0.
If you are using Xcode 8 with Swift 3, please use the latest tagged 3.x release.
Swift 2.2 or 2.3?
If you are using Xcode 7.3.1 with Swift 2.2 please use IBAnimatable 2.7. If you are using Xcode 8 with Swift 2.3, please use the latest tagged 2.x release (version 2.8.1). If you find any issue and create a PR for Swift 2.3, please PR to
swift2 branch. When you use Swift 2.3 with IBAnimatable, you may see some issue like
dlopen(IBAnimatable.framework, 1): Symbol not found: __TMVs20_DisabledRangeIndex_. That's a bug of Xcode 8, please have a look at Issue - Failed to render and update auto layout status
- From prototype to shippable App Store ready App - What you design in Interface Builder is what the App exactly looks. More details can be found in this talk Prototype and Design App Store ready Apps in Interface Builder (/dev/world/2016)
- Designer-friendly - Sketch style configuration panel on Attributes inspector () to lower the learning curve for using Interface Builder.
- Animation design support in Swift playground - Similar to Framer, we can prototype animations in Swift playground to save time for running on a simulator or actual iOS devices.
- Built-in Auto Layout support - We can use Auto Layout and Size Classes with
IBAnimatableto support orientations and multiple iOS devices.
- Navigation and transition support - We can use default navigation pattern in the App.
IBAnimatablealso has custom transition animators and segues to support transition animations and gesture interactions.
- Protocol-oriented programming -
IBAnimatableuses a protocol-oriented programming paradigm. With Swift protocol extension, it is easy to support more designable or animatable features. We can even use these protocol extensions to create other custom UI elements instead of using the default ones from
IBAnimatable. More details can be found in this talk Prototype and Design App Store ready Apps in Interface Builder (/dev/world/2016) - Part 2: Protocol oriented programming
- Prototyping - Create interactive prototypes to validate ideas quickly.
- Redesigning in Interface Builder - Redesign the UI from Sketch and animations from Framer without writing any code.
- Making custom UI elements - Use
IBAnimatableprotocols to make custom UI elements. e.g. Buttons with a default color palette.
FullyMostly documented API Reference
- How to design and prototype custom transition animation and gesture interaction in Interface Builder with IBAnimatable
- Youtube video: Prototype and Design App Store ready Apps in Interface Builder (/dev/world/2016) - Part 2: Protocol oriented programming
How to run the example App
The easy way to learn and understand how powerful of
IBAnimatableis to run the example App and play around the settings in Interface Builder. Just a few steps we can run the App as below, to see more features, we can tap on "Forget Password" button to unlock them.
- Clone the repository
$ git clone https://github.com/IBAnimatable/IBAnimatable.git
- Open the workspace in Xcode
$ cd IBAnimatable $ open IBAnimatable.xcodeproj
- Compile and run the app on your simulator or iOS device
How to design in Interface Builder
IBAnimatable to design the UI and animations in Interface Builder, just follow a few steps as below:
- Open a Storyboard or Xib file.
- Drag and drop a UIKit element e.g.
- In Identity inspector (), configure the UI element to
Animatablecustom UI class e.g.
AnimatableView, you can find all
Animatableclasses in APIs.md.
- Configure the UI and animations in Attribute Inspector.
How to animate in Swift playground
We can configure the animation settings in Attribute inspector. However, Interface Builder doesn't support previewing Animations, but we can still prototype animations in Swift playground. There are three sample pages to demonstrate how to design animation in Swift playground. You can find them in IBAnimatable.playground.
- Open IBAnimatable.xcodeproj
- Select IBAnimatable Framework scheme and build it with
Command + b
- Select IBAnimatable.playground, choose one page in Swift playground, then click on "Assistant editor" button to split the playground. After that, select "Timeline" on the top of right-hand side to preview the animation. We can use Xcode menu "Editor" -> "Execute" to re-run the playground.
How to animate programmatically
As you saw above, we can prototype an App fully in Interface Builder without a single line of code, but
IBAnimatable also provides APIs to let us fully control the UI and animations.
IBAnimatable provides simple APIs like
pop(). We can easily call them in one line.
view.pop(repeatCount: 1) // pop animation for the view view.squeezeFade(.in, direction:.left) // squeeze and fade in from left animation
You can play around with all these predefined animations in the Swift playground Page - Predefined Animations
There are some properties we can change to customize the animation. What we need to do is to set the properties and call
animate() method to start the animation.
// Setup the animation view.animationType = .squeeze(way: .in, direction: .left) view.delay = 0.5 view.damping = 0.5 view.velocity = 2 view.force = 1 // Start the animation view.animate()
You can play around with all animations with different properties in the Swift playground Page - Animation Properties
Sometimes, we need to run another animation after the previous one. With
IBAnimatable, we can easily chain animations together to provide a sleek user experience.
// We can chain the animations together, it is the source code of animated GIF in "Animate in Swift playground" section view.animate(.squeezeFade(way: .in, direction: .down)) .then(.pop(repeatCount: 1)) .then(.shake(repeatCount: 1)) .then(.squeeze(way: .in, direction: .down)) .then(.wobble(repeatCount: 1)) .then(.flip(along: .x)) .then(.flip(along: .y)) .then(.slideFade(way: .out, direction: .down))
How to install
Copy and paste
IBAnimatable folder in your Xcode project.
.Package(url: "https://github.com/IBanimatable/IBanimatable.git", majorVersion: 3) to your
pod 'IBAnimatable' to your Podfile.
github "IBanimatable/IBAnimatable" to your Cartfile.
Please Notice, there is a limitation of a built framework for
@IBInspectable, that will impact on
IBAnimatable when you use Carthage. There is a workaround to use Carthage or Swift package manager with
IBAnimatable, please have a look at Carthage – no Animatable UI Classes appearing in Storyboard
Add this repo as a submodule, and add the project file to your workspace. You can then link against
IBAnimatable.framework for your application target.
How to contribute
All of us can contribute to this project. Fewer overheads mean less time to build quality Apps and more time to enjoy coffee
If you are a designer, you can design in Interface Builder with
IBAnimatablewithout a design tool like Sketch, or implement your existing design from Sketch or Photoshop in Interface Builder rapidly. With
IBAnimatable, you should be able to do
allmost of the design work in Interface Builder. If you have any feature request, please create a GitHub Issue and we will put it in the backlog. If you have done any design with
IBAnimatable, please let us know via creating Pull Request or GitHub Issue. We will add it to README file.
If you are a developer, you can work on features or fix bugs, please check out Vision, Technical Considerations and Roadmap and GitHub Issues to find out the backlogs. If you have used
IBAnimatablein your App, please let us know via creating Pull Request or GitHub Issue. We will add it to README file.
If you are good at English, please correct my English
😁. If you are good at other languages, please create a README file in those languages.
If you like the project, please share it with the other designers and developers, and star
🌟the project. 🤗
Inspirations / Credits
IBInspectable- The entire project is based on that.
- Sketch - Interface Builder should be as easy as Sketch to use.
- Framer Studio - Design and preview animations in one place.
- Spring by Meng To - steal a lot of animation parameters from this project.
- VCTransitionsLibrary by Colin Eberhardt - port all transition animations from this project, and add parameters support and fix bugs.
- [NVActivityIndicatorView by Vinh Nguyen](NVActivityIndicatorView by Vinh Nguyen - port all activity indicator animations from this project.) - port all activity indicator animations from this project.
- Invision ToDo App UI Kit, The demo App's original design is from this UI Kit and redone in Interface Builder. We also added interaction, navigation and animations.
Please see CHANGELOG.md
IBAnimatable is released under the MIT license. See LICENSE for details.