Tactileo Quest is a proof of concept to demonstrate the abilities of collecting information on a map to use in a serious game. Tactileo is a french project of the Education Nationale that aims to study and define API for multi touch devices to bring such devices into school context. IGN-France is involved in this project in defining interactions with maps.
Disclaimer: This sample app is by no means a complete game or complete game engine. I wrote this code in about 4 days (including design and sprite) and additional cleanup/optimization should be used in a real-world game.
If you’d like to test this out on your own devices, you can now access it online at http://ignf.github.io/tactileo-quest/ On Android you should better use Chrome and "Add to homescreen" to run the webapp fullscreen. On Iphone/IPad, tap the share button. On windows, don't use IExplorer on touch screen!
Full source code for this demo application is available on GitHub under the CeCILL-B licence (a french BSD like licence). This code is provided as-is.
Game play mecanisms would be implemented afterwards to guide the student in a quest to solve a problem or to acquire informations in a school environment. The map used in this context is an old map layer (1820-1866) provided by the french Geoportail. I use the OpenLayers library to render it. For interaction with contents, the resources are provided by the french DBPedia project.
This project was also freely inspired by the PhoneGap-Legends game published by Andrew Trice (https://github.com/triceam/PhoneGap-Legends).
The following assets were used in the creation of this sample app:
Images and animations
- Logo Tactileo - (c) Tacileo 2014 - http://projet.tactileo.net/
- Universal LPC Sprite Sheet - (c) CC-By-SA - https://github.com/jrconway3/Universal-LPC-spritesheet/blob/master/AUTHORS.txt
- A whole lot of RPG items by Orteil - (c) CC-By-SA - http://orteil.deviantart.com/art/A-whole-lot-of-RPG-items-379986564
- Parchemin by stux, modified - (c) CC0 Public Domain - http://pixabay.com/fr/certificat-papier-parchemin-port%C3%A9-70844/
- Papyrus by geralt, modified - (c) CC0 Public Domain - http://pixabay.com/fr/parchemin-papyrus-sale-vieux-435347/
- Compass Rose by ElfQrin - (c) CC-By-SA - http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Compass_rose_en_04p.svg
- Almendra font (c) 2011-2012 Ana Sanfelippo, Open font Licence v1.1 - http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/almendra
- DBPedia Knowledge Base - (c) DBPedia CC-By-SA - http://dbpedia.org/About
- jQuery - MIT License - http://jquery.com/
- jQuery custom scroller (c) Malihu - MIT License - http://manos.malihu.gr/jquery-custom-content-scroller/
- Add to Homescreen (c) 2014 Matteo Spinelli - MIT License - http://cubiq.org/add-to-home-screen