Be notified of new releases
Create your free GitHub account today to subscribe to this repository for new releases and build software alongside 28 million developers.Sign up
This release introduces a modular Explore feature to support external tools. It includes performance enhancements for S3 storage, provides an API endpoint to move datasets and other improvements, includes documentation improvements and fixes a number of bugs.
- Modular Explore (enables tools such as Data Explorer and Two Ravens)
- Redirect to the S3 location, instead of streaming.
- New API: Add api end point to move datasets
- Developer Guides - As a new developer, I want a single page set of quick and easy instructions for installing Dataverse
- Fix for: Guestbook - Downloads via API are not counted (if your installation uses TwoRavens, please see the note below!)
- Fix/Clean up handling of 403 and 404 exit codes in data access API
- Fix for: Dataset page: Page fails to load when it cannot understand an image file to generate thumbnail
- Fix for: When setting harvesting schedule to weekly, settings don't persist
- Fix for a memory leak in IndexAll;
- Improvements for: Slow Page Load: Some dataset pages are slow to load, resulting in a timeout error.
For the complete list of issues, see the 4.8.6 milestone in Github.
ATTENTION: If you are running TwoRavens as part of your Dataverse installation, the bug fix for the counting of file downloads via the API has a side effect of having users' data explore sessions counted as two downloads. To avoid this, a change in the TwoRavens configuration is required. Find the following line in the TwoRavens app_ddi.js file:
dataurl = dataurl+"?key="+apikey;
and change it as follows:
dataurl = dataurl+"?key="+apikey+"&gbrecs=true";
For help with upgrading, installing, or general questions please email email@example.com.
If this is a new installation, please see our Installation Guide.
If you are upgrading from v4.x, you must upgrade to each intermediate version before installing this version. When upgrading from the previous version, you will need to do the following:
- Undeploy the previous version.
- <glassfish install path>/glassfish4/bin/asadmin list-applications
- <glassfish install path>/glassfish4/bin/asadmin undeploy dataverse
- Stop glassfish and remove the generated directory, start
- service glassfish stop
- remove the generated directory: rm -rf <glassfish install path>glassfish4/glassfish/domains/domain1/generated
- service glassfish start
- Deploy this version.
- <glassfish install path>/glassfish4/bin/asadmin deploy <path>dataverse-4.8.6.war
- Run db update script
psql -U <db user> -d <db name> -f upgrade_v4.8.5_to_v4.8.6.sql
- Restart glassfish
- Configure Two Ravens as an External Tool
Because the Explore button is now modular, the previous way of enabling Two Ravens using settings will no longer work. To ensure Two Ravens Explore continues to be available, following the instructions here:
- Reindex to update doi link format in citation
Reexport all to update doi link format in citation
If you are upgrading from v3.x, you will need to perform a migration to v4.x since our application was redesigned and the database schema are completely different. This is a significant undertaking. Please contact us (support at dataverse.org) before beginning. Also refer to our migration google group for additional support and information: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dataverse-migration-wg
IMPORTANT: If you are running TwoRavens as part of your Dataverse installation:
Make sure the two applications are using the same version of the "pre-processed statistics" R code. Compare the 2 files:
On the TwoRavens side:
On the Dataverse side:
If they are different, replace the Dataverse copy with the TwoRavens copy (i.e., the TwoRavens version wins!).
And, also, remove all the already-generated pre-processed fragments in your Dataverse file directory, for example:
cd [files directory] rm -f `find . -name '*.prep'`
If the two copies are the same, you don't need to do any of this.
Please note that this is a temporary measure, we are working on a fix that will make the two applications resolve code version conflicts like this automatically.