Lesson #1 - Echo, Variables, IF
Feb 2, 2013 - Updated instructions for editor v1.1 update
Review & Info
- Use your IndyPhp.com class account to edit and run PHP scripts
- Use GITHUB (see Lesson0) to view class lessons and materials
- HTML and CSS (video missing from Lesson0) will be incorporated through subsequent classes
- An updated version of the editor.php script is now available
- If your editor ( username.indyphp.com/editor.php ) does not show "Editor V1.1" at the top, you need to update the code
- This update fixes attribute problems and improves running scripts by putting the output in an iframe rather than a pop-up.
- To return the file editing mode after pressing RUN, press the EDIT button again.
- Press the Shell button and run these commands:
- git clone http://github.com/stgnet/editor
- cp editor/editor.php .
- . refers to the current directory, thus same as cp editor/editor.php ./editor.php
- Return to the Editor tab and press CTRL-R to reload
- Confirm that the title reads "Editor V1.1"
- Many thanks to Andrew Cutting of PLTW for passing along a great educational video series on PHP
- We will be using these in this class, but also filling in with class projects each 4th Saturday when we come together to review.
- Our target goal is not only to show you how to develop in PHP, but also build some useful tools and real websites along the way.
- Watch video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK1tBB9nHUE
- Follow along using our class editor tool to recreate the same PHP, SAVE as Lesson1a.php, and RUN it.
- Note that when the presentor talks about "full stop" he means the period character (.)
- Watch video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv9Yx0YzyOw
- Follow along and run the example as Lesson1b.php
- Note the difference between single and double quoted strings
1C: If, Else
- Watch video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWyh7H1lAmQ
- Follow along and run the example as Lesson1c.php
- Are these video lessons working for you?
- Is 3 lessons per week too little - should we move through the material faster?
- Please email your comments to email@example.com