Get Started with OPTIGA™ Trust M IoT Security Development Kit
Clone this wiki locally
This repository contains instructions on how to get started with the OPTIGA™ Trust M IoT Security Development Kit (
CYSBSYSKIT-DEV-01 ). The kit comes pre-flashed and is ready to use. It will connect to AWS IoT with crypto support from OPTIGA™ Trust M. We already linked the kit to the Infineon AWS IoT account and a public dashboard is available to show the live data. If you push the user button on the board live data is sent from the kit which can be seen on the dashboard.
You can find more information about the security chip on the product web page
- Step 1. Unpack the Kit
- Step 2. Experience AWS IoT MQTT Demo
- Step 3. Experience CIRRENT™ Cloud ID
- Step 4. Develop your own ModusToolbox™ Application for OPTIGA Trust M
- Support material
The Kit contains:
- A short Instruction sheet
- A CIRRENT™ Cloud ID sample registration QR Code
- Infineon Rapid IoT connect developer kit with a preloaded AWS IoT MQTT Demo (
- Micro USB cable
A Short Youtube video of a kit unpack experience
Create a Wi-Fi hotspot with the following credentials: SSID - Infineon, Password - tischtennis
- Go to the Settings of your smartphone
- Android: Select Connections -> Select Mobile Hotspot and Tethering -> Turn Mobile Hotspot on (switch) -> Put the Network name: Infineon and Password: tischtennis, use 2.4 GHz for the connection
- iOS (1/2): Select General -> Select About -> Select Name -> Put the name: Infineon
- iOS (2/2): Select Personal Hotspot -> Turn Allow Others to Join on and set Wi-Fi Password to be tischtennis
- Go to the Settings of your smartphone
Connect the Board to a power source using a micro USB cable comming with the Kit as the figure below depicts (marked as 1)
Wait for 20 seconds, in case you use your smartphone as the hotspot your phone will highlight if the board connects
Scan with your smartphone the QR Code on the Board (marked as 2 on the Figure above)
Push the user button (labeled: USR_BTN) that you can find just down left from the QR code (marked as 3 on the Figure above)
If you push the button a few times you will see the button status is reflected in the graph of the dashboard.
- Install the ModusToolbox™ as described in the Step 4
- Go to the Windows Start menu and find the
modus-shelltool, open it
- Go to the folder where you have downloaded the following application image - mtb-example-optiga-mqtt-client-demo.hex (right-click and Save as...)
- Run the following command
<path_to_the_ModusToolbox>/ModusToolbox/tools_2.4/openocd/bin/openocd -s <path_to_the_ModusToolbox>/ModusToolbox/tools_2.4/openocd/scripts -c "source [find interface/kitprog3.cfg]; ; source [find target/psoc6_2m.cfg]; psoc6 allow_efuse_program off; psoc6 sflash_restrictions 1; program mtb-example-optiga-mqtt-client-demo.hex verify reset exit;"
<path_to_the_ModusToolbox> is the installation path for the ModusToolbox™
CIRRENT™ Cloud ID is a unique approach to device-to-cloud authentication, making it easier, more cost effective, and more secure by automating cloud provisioning of device certificates. In the past, device authentication has been an expensive, custom IT process on the manufacturing line. With Cloud ID, it can now be a simple, robust, flexible, and secure cloud-to-cloud provisioning process.
Each OPTIGA™ Trust M IoT Security Development Kit comes with a Reel Registration QR Code which shall provide an initial experience for claiming a real OPTIGA™ Trust M reel ordered from Infineon or its distribution partners. The Figure below depicts a Sample Code
Please mark your QR Code as it's uniquely identifies your board and can be used to retrive the certificate stored on the OPTIGA Trust M device as part of the step-by-step guidance. The latter demonstrates how to use that QR code and get your certificate in the Steps to complete the virtual developer kit of the official CIRRENT™ Cloud ID Quick Start Guide
Find more information about CIRRENT™ Cloud ID on the official product page
Infineon ModusToolbox™ is a collection of easy-to-use software and tools enabling rapid development of Infineon MCUs, covering applications from embedded sense and control to wireless and cloud-connected systems using AIROC™ Wi-Fi, AIROC™ Bluetooth® and AIROC™ Wi-Fi and Combo devices. In order to experience all available code examples demonstrating the usage of OPTIGA™ Trust M on the IoT Security Development Kit you need to download and install the software. Please refer for this to the followig documents:
There are currently three released Code Examples for OPTIGA™ Trust M:
- OPTIGA™ Trust M: Cryptography
- OPTIGA™ Trust M: MQTT Client
- OPTIGA™ Trust M: Power management
- OPTIGA™ Trust M: Data and certificates management
In the nutshell, the sequence below demonstrates generic steps to make the code example run, for other than OPTIGA™ Trust M: Cryptography examples the process is similar apart from the example name. For settings and individual examples steps please refer to their README's on GitHub
Start Eclipse IDE for ModusToolbox™
Create New Application: in Quick Panel click on "New application"
- Choose your BSP: Type "DEV-01" into the dialog and choose CYSBSYSKIT-DEV-01. Click on Next to continue.
Choose Peripherals and find the OPTIGA Cryptography example.
Compile and run. See the README.md for more information about the example
- Rapid IoT Kit Quick Start Guide (preliminary version)
- Rapid IoT Kit Schematics (preliminary version)
In case you run into a problem and no live data can be seen on the dashboard follow the steps below to see where things go wrong.
- Make sure that the WiFi hotspot is open (scan with your computer to see the available SSID)
- Make sure there is no typo in the password
- Be sure that the USB port that you use can supply enough power to run the board (try another port)
- If you still run into problems download teraterm and connect to the virtual Com port of the board to see the output. Use this output and create an accident on our Community Forum