Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
piot 101: Raspberry Pi + Internet of Things
Introduction to the Workshop
The Raspberry Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org) is a low cost, credit-card sized computer that can be used to build amazing things. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the exploding network of objects, sensors, and "things" connected to the internet. This hands-on workshop will teach you the basics of using a Raspberry Pi and how to use a Pi to create an Internet of Things application.
Why is this important? The Internet of Things is predicted by Cisco to blossom into a multi-trillion dollar opportunity (http://internetofeverything.cisco.com/sites/default/files/docs/en/ioe-value-index_FAQs.pdf). Gartner Research believes that 50% of this opportunity will be realized by Makers and young startup companies (http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2869521). Raspberry Pi has quickly become the device of choice for millions of Makers around the world due to its ease-of-use, features, and cost. This workshop will take you from Novice to IoT Maker in two hours.
In this workshop, you will:
- learn the fundamentals of using a Raspberry Pi (booting up your Pi, using the Linux command prompt, remotely logging into your Pi, etc.)
- wire up simple circuits using a breadboard (no previous experience required)
- write and run simple Python scripts that will run on a Pi (no previous experience required)
- build multiple live Internet of Things projects that stream data to a cloud service
- build a real-time dashboard that displays all of your sensor data in one place
If you get stuck, send us an email at email@example.com, and we will be happy to help.