ruby-tmdb3 is an ActiveRecord-style API wrapper for TheMovieDB.org (TMDb). ruby-tmdb3 uses tmdb's API v3 and is designed to streamline common tasks associated with finding information about movies and cast members.
For ease of use ruby-tmdb3 is packaged as a Rubygem. Installing it is as simple as:
gem install ruby-tmdb3
Ruby 1.8.x & 1.9.x (2.0.x experimental)
require 'rubygems' require 'ruby-tmdb3' # setup your API key Tmdb.api_key = "t478f8de5776c799de5a" # setup your default language Tmdb.default_language = "en" @movie = TmdbMovie.find(:title => "Iron Man", :limit => 1) # => <OpenStruct> @movie.title # => "Iron Man"
There are 3 main methods you can use to get information about movies and cast members:
Find information about an individual movie, or a set of movies that share a similar title, eg:
TmdbMovie.find(:title => "fight club", :limit => 10, :expand_results => true, :language => "en")
- Specifies an individual movie via it's TMDb id
- Specifies a query string to look for in the movie titles
- Specifies an individual movie via it's IMDB id
- Specifies the maximum number of results to be returned
- The TMDb API by default returns only partial info for any API method that can return multiple results. When :expand_results is set to true ruby-tmdb3 automatically makes extra API calls to fetch the full information for each item. This can result in *very* slow requests though. If you only need basic information for a search listing then set this to false. Defaults to 'true'.
- Allows you to override the default API language on a per-query basis.
You must supply at least one of :id, :title, or :imdb. All other parameters are optional.
Find information about an individual cast member, or a set of cast members sharing similar names, eg:
TmdbCast.find( :id => 123, :name => "Brad", :limit => 1, :expand_results => true)
- Specifies an individual cast member via their TMDb id
- Specifies a query string to look for in the cast names
- See TmdbMovie
- See TmdbMovie
- See TmdbMovie
You must supply at least one of :id or :name. All other parameters are optional.
Find all movies whose titles match a given string:
@movies = TmdbMovie.find(:title => 'Iron Man')
Find the movie most likely to be associated with a given title:
@movie = TmdbMovie.find(:title => 'Sin City', :limit => 1)
Find a single movie by it's TMDb ID:
@movie = TmdbMovie.find(:id => 187)
Find a single movie by it's IMDB ID:
@movie = TmdbMovie.find(:imdb => 'tt0401792')
Find all cast members whose names match a given string:
@actors = TmdbCast.find(:name => 'Fred')
Find an individual cast member via their TMDb ID:
@actor = TmdbCast.find(:id => 101)
Get the info for a movie in French:
@movie = TmdbMovie.find(:title => 'Sin City', :limit => 1, :language => "fr")
ruby-tmdb3 is maintained to work under Ruby 1.8.x & 1.9.x. Please make sure it works under both.
- Fork the repo.
- Create a topic branch.
- Push the topic branch to your fork.
- Create a pull request.
To find out more about the information each object offers on retrieved items have a look at the TMDb API Docs. For the most accurate information about the information available have a look at the data directly through ruby-tmdb3 by calling @item.raw_data.inspect
The whole contributor list can be seen at https://github.com/Irio/ruby-tmdb/graphs/contributors.
Copyright (c) 2012 Irio Irineu Musskopf Junior. Copyright (c) 2010 Aaron Gough, released under the MIT license.