Quote databases have a line or lines containing a quote, then a line that only contains a '%' (percent sign) to separate it from the others. ex:
Let's just pretend Quote 1 is very ...very... ...very... long. % and quote 2 is short %
after adding or altering a new file recreate the index files for
you can compile every fortune file in this directory with
use these with
or you can combine these with the fortune files already on your system by asking fortune where it's databases are like so:
fortune ~/path/to/this/repo/named/fortunes $(fortune -f 2>&1 | head -n1 | cut =d' ' -f2)
make & update new fortune files with
- handey: Jack Handey quotes, because you're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh-darnit people like you.
- chuckfacts: Facts about Chuck Norris (because 2005 should never end)
- memebomb: Discordian memebombs scraped with kwotes.py
- yow: The file consists of Zippy the Pinhead quotations (from various comic books and strips by Bill Griffith) notable accesible using the the m-x yow command in GNU Emacs.
- Oblique Strategies: Brian Eno's Oblique Strategies cards to help you get out of a creative rut.
- Real Facts as real as Snapple makes 'em!
- English As She Is Spoke Familiar Phrases, Idiotisms[sic] and Proverbs, and Anecdotes as found in English As She Is Spoke, or A Jest in Somber Earnest
- rfc1925 is taken from IETF Network Working Group RFC 1925: The Twelve Networking Truths
- The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries is taken from the Schlock Mercenary webcomic.
- Enkiv2's Glossary of Tech Industry Terms taken from A short glossary of tech industry terms
- The Holy Bible: Abridged beyond the point of usefulness by Zach Weinersmith, 2015. Some Rights Reserved. Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported
- Many other quotes manualy collected, scraped from goodreads or brainyquotes, or from random sites with my page-scraping bookmarklet, found here.