All notable changes to this project will be documented in this file. This project does not adhere to Semantic Versioning. This file tries to follow the conventions proposed by keepachangelog.com. Here, the categories "Changed" for added and changed functionality, "Fixed" for fixed functionality, and "Removed" for removed functionality are used.
We refer to GitHub issues by using
- Added "." (any file type) to the Import File Filter Dialog. [#3757] (https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/issues/3757)
- Abbreviate journal names functionality is now running parallel, increasing performance significantly. [#2831] (https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/issues/2831)
- Changed order of items in context menu [#298] (https://github.com/koppor/jabref/issues/298)
- Changed ID-based entry generator to store the last used fetcher. [#2796] (https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/issues/2796)
- Reorganised annotation information on the right side of the "File annotations" tab. #3109
- We now show a small notification icon in the entry editor when we detect data inconsistency or other problems. #3145
- We added oaDOI as a fulltext provider, so that JabRef is now able to provide fulltexts for more than 90 million open-access articles.
- We changed one default of Cleanup entries dialog: Per default, the PDF are not moved to the default file directory anymore. #3619
- We added a new type of group that shows all items referenced in a given LaTeX file (actually the generated AUX file). #1664
- We added an importer for the EndNote XML format. Feature request in the forum
- We added the export of the
translatorfield to the according MS-Office XML field. #1750, comment
- We changed the import of the MS-Office XML fields
translator. Both are now imported to their corresponding bibtex/biblatex fields.
- We improved the export of the
locationfield to the MS-Office XML fields. If the address field does not contain a comma, it is treated as single value and exported to the field
city. #1750, comment For more details refer to the field mapping help page
- We added Facebook and Twitter icons in the toolbar to link to our Facebook and Twitter pages.
- Renamed the Review Tab into Comments Tab
- We no longer print empty lines when exporting an entry in RIS format #3634
- We added the option to download linked URLs in the context menu in the entry editor.
- We improved file saving so that hard links are now preserved when a save is performed #2633
- We changed the default dialog option when removing a file link from an entry. The new default removes the linked file from the entry instead of deleting the file from disk. #3679
- The magnifier icon at the search shows the search mode again. #3535
- We added a new cleanup operation that replaces ligatures with their expanded form. #3613
- We added the function to parse German month names. #3536
- Pressing ESC while searching will clear the search field and select the first entry, if available, in the table. koppor#293
- We changed the metadata reading and writing. DublinCore is now the only metadata format, JabRef supports. (https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/pull/3710)
- We added another CLI functionality for reading and writing metadata to pdfs. (see https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/pull/3756 and see http://help.jabref.org/en/CommandLine)
- We no longer print errors in field values during autosave into the log #3811
- We fixed several performance problems with the management of journal abbreviations #3323
- We fixed an issue where changing the type of an entry did not update the label in the tool bar of the entry editor and the contents of the currently visible entry editor tab
- We fixed an issue where pressing space caused the cursor to jump to the start of the text field. #3471
- We fixed the missing dot in the name of an exported file. #3576
- Autocompletion in the search bar can now be disabled via the preferences. #3598
- We fixed an issue where the progress of an ongoing file download was not shown correctly. #3614
- We fixed an issue where odd linked files could not be selected in the entry editor. #3639
- We fixed and extended the RIS import functionality to cover more fields. #3634 #2607
- Chaining modifiers in BibTeX key pattern now works as described in the documentation. #3648
- We fixed an issue where not all bibtex/biblatex fields would be exported as latex-free to MS-Office XML koppor#284
- We fixed an issue where linked files would be deleted from bibliography entries despite choosing the "Cancel" option in the dialog menu.
- We fixed the name of the group editing window to "Add group" instead of "Edit Group" when adding a new group. koppor#277
- We fixed an issue where the "Copy linked files" dialog produced an error when the entry had no file #3818
- We removed the Look and Feels from JGoodies, because the open source version is not compatible with Java 9.
4.1 - 2017-12-23
- We added bracketed expression support for file search patterns, import file name patterns and file directory patters, in addition to bibtexkey patterns.
- We added support for
- Updated French translation
- We improved the handling of abstracts in the "Astrophysics Data System" fetcher. #2471
- We added support for pasting entries in different formats #3143
- In the annotation tab, PDF files are now monitored for new or changed annotation. A manual reload is no longer necessary. #3292
- We increased the relative size of the "abstract" field in the entry editor. Feature request in the forum
- Crossreferenced entries are now used when a BibTex key is generated for an entry with empty fields. #2811
- We now set the
WM_CLASSof the UI to org-jabref-JabRefMain to allow certain Un*x window managers to properly identify its windows
- We added an option to convert entries in the biblatex format to BibTeX so that you can again collaborate with these nostalgic diehards. Feature request in the forum
- We changed the default paths for the OpenOffice/LibreOffice binaries to the default path for LibreOffice
- File annotation tab now removes newlines and hyphens before newlines from content and displays an empty String instead of N/A if no contents are found. #3280
- We moved the groups field from the "Other fields" tab to "General" (you may have to reset your editor preferences under Options > Set up general fields)
- We no longer create a new entry editor when selecting a new entry to increase performance. #3187
- We added the possibility to copy linked files from entries to a single output folder. #2539
- We increased performance and decreased the memory footprint of the entry editor drastically. #3331
- Late initialization of the context menus in the entry editor. This improves performance and memory footprint further #3340
- Integrity check "Abbreviation Detection" detects abbreviated names for journals and booktitles based on the internal list instead of only looking for
.signs. Fixes #3144.
- We added a dialog to show that JabRef is working on checking integrity. #3358
- When you click the PDF icon in the file list of the entry editor, then the file is opened. #3491
- We added an option to mass append to fields via the Quality -> set/clear/append/rename fields dialog. #2721
- We added a check on startup to ensure JabRef is run with an adequate Java version. 3310
- In the preference, all installed java Look and Feels are now listed and selectable
- We added an ID fetcher for IACR eprints. #3473
- We added a clear option to the right-click menu of the text field in the entry editor. koppor#198
- We improved the performance and memory footprint of the citation preview when CSL styles are used. #2533
- We disabled the auto completion as default, because it still causes issues. #3522
- We fixed the translation of
\textquotesinglein the entry preview. #3307
- We fixed an issue where JabRef would not terminated after asking to collect anonymous statistics. #2955 comment
- We fixed an issue where JabRef would not shut down when started with the
-n(No GUI) option. #3247
- We improved the way metadata is updated in remote databases. #3235
- We improved font rendering of the Entry Editor for Linux based systems. #3295
- We fixed an issue where JabRef would freeze when trying to replace the original entry after a merge with new information from identifiers like DOI/ISBN etc. #3294
- We no longer allow to add a field multiple times in customized entry types and thereby fix an issue in the entry editor that resulted from having a field multiple times. #3046
- We fixed an issue where JabRef would not show the translated content at some points, although there existed a translation
- We fixed an issue where editing in the source tab would override content of other entries. #3352
- We fixed an issue where file links created under Windows could not be opened on Linux/OSX. #3311
- We fixed several issues with the automatic linking of files in the entry editor where files were not found or not correctly saved in the bibtex source. #3346
- We fixed an issue where fetching entries from crossref that had no titles caused an error. #3376
- We fixed an issue where the same Java Look and Feel would be listed more than once in the Preferences. #3391
- We fixed an issue where errors in citation styles triggered an exception when opening the preferences dialog. #3389
- We fixed an issue where entries were displayed twice after insertion into a shared database. #3164
- We improved the auto link algorithm so that files starting with a similar key are no longer found (e.g,
- We fixed an issue where special fields (such as
printed) could not be cleared when syncing special fields via the keywords. #3432
- We fixed an issue where the tooltip of the global search bar showed html tags instead of formatting the text. #3381
- We fixed an issue where timestamps were not updated for changed entries. #2810
- We fixed an issue where trying to fetch data from Medline/PubMed resulted in an error. #3463
- We fixed an issue where double clicking on an entry in the integrity check dialog resulted in an exception. #3485
- We fixed an issue where the entry type could sometimes not be changed when the entry editor was open #3435
- We fixed an issue where dropping a pdf on the entry table and renaming it triggered an exception. #3490
- We fixed an issue where no longer existing files could not be removed from the entry by pressing the del key. #3493
- We fixed an issue where integrating external changes to a bib file caused instability. #3498
- We fixed an issue where fetched entries from the ACM fetcher could not be imported. #3500
- We fixed an issue where custom data in combobox fields in the entry editor was not saved. #3538
- We fixed an issue where automatically found files were not added with a relative paths when the bib file is in the same directory as the files. #3476
- We improved the key generator to remove certain illegal characters such as colons or apostrophes. #3359
4.0 - 2017-10-04
- We added a textArea to see versionInfo in the About JabRef Dialog. #2942
- We turned the validation feature in the entry editor off by default, because of a bug in the library we have been using #3145
- Added 'Filter All' and 'Filter None' buttons with corresponding functionality to Quality Check tool.
- We increased the size of the keywords and file text areas in the entry editor
- When the entry that is currently shown in the entry editor is deleted externally, the editor is now closed automatically #2946
- We added reordering of file and link entries in the
General-Tab 3165, comment
- We added autcompletion for the
crossreffield on basis of the BibTeX-key. To accept such an autcompleted key as new entry-link, you have to press Enter two times, otherwise the field data is not stored in the library file.koppor#257
- We added drag and drop support for adding files directly in the
General-Tab. The dragged files are currently only linked from their existing directory. For more advanced features use the
Add filesdialog. #koppor#244
- We added the file description filed back to the list of files in the
General-Tab #2930, comment
- Added an error dialog if the file is open in another process and cannot be renamed. [#3229]
- On Windows, the
JabRef.exeexecutable can now be used to start JabRef from the command line. By default, no output is shown unless the new "-console" option is specified.
- We re-added the "Normalize to BibTeX name format" context menu item #3136
- We fixed a memory leak in the source tab of the entry editor #3113
- We fixed a java bug where linux users could not enter accented characters in the entry editor and the search bar #3028
- We fixed a regression introduced in v4.0-beta2: A file can be dropped to the entry preview to attach it to the entry koppor#245
- We fixed an issue in the "Replace String" dialog (Ctrl+R where search and replace did not work for the
- We fixed an issue in the entry editor where adding a term to a new protected terms list freezed JabRef completely. #3157
- We fixed an issue in the "Manage protected terms" dialog where an 'Open file' dialog instead of a 'Save file' dialog was shown when creating a new list. #3157
- We fixed an issue where unparseable dates of the FileAnnotations caused the FileAnnotationsTab to crash.
- We fixed an issue where a new protected terms list was not available immediately after its addition. #3161
- We fixed an issue where an online file link could not be removed from an entry #3165
- We fixed an issue where an online file link did not open the browser and created an error #3165
- We fixed an issue where the arrow keys in the search bar did not work as expected #3081
- We fixed wrong hotkey being displayed at "automatically file links" in the entry editor
- We fixed an issue where metadata syncing with local and shared database were unstable. It will also fix syncing groups and sub-groups in database. #2284
- We fixed an issue where renaming a linked file would fail silently if a file with the same name existed. Added support for overriding existing file at user discretion. [#3172] (https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/issues/3172)
- We fixed an issue where the "Remove group and subgroups" operation did not remove group information from entries in the group #3190
- We fixed an issue where it was possible to leave the entry editor with an imbalance of braces. #3167
- Renaming files now truncates the filename to not exceed the limit of 255 chars #2622
- We improved the handling of hyphens in names. #2775
- We fixed an issue where an entered file description was not written to the bib-file #3208
- We improved the auto completion in the search bar. koppor#253
- We fixed renaming files which are not in the main directory. #3230
- We removed support for LatexEditor, as it is not under active development. #3199
4.0-beta3 – 2017-08-16
- We made the font size in the entry editor and group panel customizable by "Menu and label font size". #3034
- If fetched article is already in database, then the entry merge dialog is shown.
- An error message is now displayed if you try to create a group containing the keyword separator or if there is already a group with the same name. #3075 and #1495
- The FileAnnotationsTab was re-implemented in JavaFx. #3082
- Integrity warnings are now directly displayed in the entry editor.
- We added the functionality to have
regexas modifier. #457
- We fixed an issue where the fetcher for the Astrophysics Data System (ADS) added some non-bibtex data to the entry returned from the search #3035
- We improved the auto completion so that minor changes are not added as suggestions. #2998
- We readded the undo mechanism for changes in the entry editor #2973
- We fixed an issue where assigning an entry via drag and drop to a group caused JabRef to stop/freeze completely #3036
- We fixed the shortcut Ctrl+F for the search field.
- We fixed an issue where
capitalizemodifiers did not work with shorttitle.
- We fixed an issue where the preferences could not be imported without a restart of JabRef #3064
- We fixed an issue where DEL, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and Ctrl+A in the search field triggered corresponding actions in the main table #3067
- We fixed an issue where JabRef freezed when editing an assigned file in the
General-Tab #2930, comment
- We fixed an issue where a file could not be assigned to an existing entry via the entry context menu action
- We fixed an issue where entry editor was not focused after opening up. #3052
- We fixed an issue where changes in the source tab were not stored when selecting a new entry. #3086
- We fixed an issue where the other tab was not updated when fields where changed in the source tab. #3063
- We fixed an issue where the source tab was not updated after fetching data by DOI. #3103
- We fixed an issue where the move to group operation did not remove the entry from other groups #3101
- We fixed an issue where the main table was not updated when grouping changes #1903
4.0-beta2 – 2017-07-18
- We moved the
urlfield when fetching with the ADS fetcher.
- We continued to improve the new groups interface:
- The entry editor got a fresh coat of paint:
- Homogenize the size of text fields.
- The buttons were changed to icons.
- Completely new interface to add or modify linked files.
- Removed the hidden feature that a double click in the editor inserted the current date.
- Complete new implementation of the the auto complete feature.
- All authors and editors are separated using semicolons when exporting to csv. #2762
- Improved wording of "Show recommendations: into "Show 'Related Articles' tab" in the preferences
- We added integration of the Library of Congress catalog as a fetcher based on the LCCN identifier. Feature request 636 in the forum
- The integrity check for person names now also tests that the names are specified in one of the standard BibTeX formats.
- Links in the Recommended Articles tab (Mr.DLib), when clicked, are now opened in the system's default browser. 2931
- We improved the duplicate checker such that different editions of the same publication are not marked as duplicates. 2960
- We fixed a bug that leaves .sav file after SaveAs #2947
- We fixed the function "Edit - Copy BibTeX key and link" to pass a hyperlink rather than an HTML statement.
- We fixed the adding of a new entry from DOI which led to a connection error. The DOI resolution now uses HTTPS to protect the user's privacy.#2879
- We fixed the IEEE Xplore web search functionality #2789
- We fixed an error in the CrossRef fetcher that occurred if one of the fetched entries had no title
- We fixed an issue that prevented new entries to be automatically assigned to the currently selected group #2783.
- We fixed a bug that only allowed parsing positive timezones from a FileAnnotation #2839
- We fixed a bug that did not allow the correct re-export of the MS-Office XML field
msbib-accessedwith a different date format #2859.
- We fixed some bugs that prevented the display of FileAnnotations that were created using the Foxit Reader. #2839, comment.
- We fixed an error that prevented the FileAnnotation tab to load when the entry had no bibtexkey #2903.
- We fixed a bug which which could result in an exception when opening/saving files from/to a nonexistent directory #2917.
- We fixed a bug where recursive RegExpBased search found a file in a subdirectory multiple times and non-recursive RegExpBased search erroneously found files in subdirectories.
- We fixed a bug where new groups information was not stored on save #2932
- We fixed a bug where the language files for Brazilian Portugese could not be loaded and the GUI localization remained in English #1128
- We fixed a bug where the database was not marked as dirty when entries or groups were changed #2787
- We fixed a bug where editors in the DocBook export were not exported #3020
- We fixed a bug where the source tab was not updated when one the fields was changed #2888
- We restored the original functionality that when browsing through the MainTable, the Entry Editor remembers which tab was opened before #2896
4.0-beta – 2017-04-17
- JabRef has a new logo! The logo was designed by "AikTheOne" - who was the winner of a design contest at 99designs.com
- Partly switched to a new UI technology (JavaFX).
- Redesigned group panel.
- Number of matched entries is always shown.
- The background color of the hit counter signals whether the group contains all/any of the entries selected in the main table.
- Added a possibility to filter the groups panel #1904
- Removed edit mode.
- Removed the following commands in the right-click menu:
- Expand/collapse subtree
- Move up/down/left/right
- Remove option to "highlight overlapping groups"
- Moved the option to "Gray out non-hits" / "Hide non-hits" to the preferences
- Removed the following options from the group preferences:
- Show icons (icons can now be customized)
- Show dynamic groups in italics (dynamic groups are not treated specially now)
- Initially show groups tree expanded (always true now)
- Expansion status of groups are saved across sessions. #1428
- Redesigned about dialog.
- Redesigned key bindings dialog.
- Redesigned journal abbreviations dialog.
- New error console.
- All file dialogs now use the native file selector of the OS. #1711
- Redesigned group panel.
- We added a few properties to a group:
- We introduced "automatic groups" that automatically create subgroups based on a certain criteria (e.g., a subgroup for every author or keyword) and supports hierarchies. Implements 91, 398, #1173 and #628.
- We added a document viewer which allows you to have a glance at your PDF documents directly from within JabRef.
- Using "Look up document identifier" in the quality menu, it is possible to look up DOIs, ArXiv ids and other identifiers for multiple entries.
- Comments in PDF files can now be displayed inside JabRef in a separate tab
- We separated the
Rename Pdfslogic and context menu entries in the
General-Tab for the Field
fileto improve the semantics
- We integrated support for the paper recommender system Mr.DLib in a new tab in the entry editor.
- We renamed "database" to "library" to have a real distinction to SQL databases ("shared database") and
bibfiles ("library"). #2095
- We improved the UI customization possibilities:
- It is now possible to customize the colors and the size of the icons (implements a feature request in the forum).
- Resizing the menu and label sizes has been improved.
- Font sizes can now be increased Ctrl + Plus, decreased Ctrl + Minus, and reset to default CTRL + 0.
- F4 opens selected file in current JTable context not just from selected entry inside the main table #2355
- We are happy to welcome CrossRef as a new member of our fetcher family. #2455
- We added MathSciNet as a ID-based fetcher in the
BibTeX -> New entrydialog (implements a feature request in the forum)
- Add tab which shows the MathSciNet review website if the
MRNumberfield is present.
- A scrollbar was added to the cleanup panel, as a result of issue #2501
- Several scrollbars were added to the preference dialog which show up when content is too large #2559
- We fixed and improved the auto detection of the OpenOffice and LibreOffice connection
- We added an option to copy the title of BibTeX entries to the clipboard through
Edit -> Copy title(implements #210)
Move linked files to default file directory-Cleanup operation respects the
File directory patternsetting
- We removed the ordinals-to-superscript formatter from the recommendations for biblatex save actions #2596
- Improved MS-Office Import/Export
- The integrity checker reports now if a journal is not found in the abbreviation list
- JabRef will now no longer delete meta data it does not know, but keeps such entries and tries to keep their formatting as far as possible.
- Switch to the latex2unicode library for converting LaTeX to unicode
- Single underscores are not converted during the LaTeX to unicode conversion, which does not follow the rules of LaTeX, but is what users require. #2664
- The bibtexkey field is not converted to unicode
- ArXiV fetcher now checks similarity of entry when using DOI retrieval to avoid false positives #2575
- We fixed an issue of duplicate keys after using a fetcher, e.g., DOI or ISBN #2867
- We fixed an issue that prevented multiple parallel JabRef instances from terminating gracefully. #2698
- We fixed an issue where authors with multiple surnames were not presented correctly in the main table. #2534
- Repairs the handling of apostrophes in the LaTeX to unicode conversion. #2500
- Fix import of journal title in RIS format. #2506
- We fixed the export of the
numberfield in MS-Office XML export. #2509
- The field
issueis now always exported to the corresponding
issuefield in MS-Office XML.
- We fixed the import of MS-Office XML files, when the
monthfield contained an invalid value.
- We fixed an issue with repeated escaping of the %-sign when running the LaTeXCleanup more than once. #2451
- Sciencedirect/Elsevier fetcher is now able to scrape new HTML structure #2576
- Fixed the synchronization logic of keywords and special fields and vice versa #2580
- We fixed an exception that prevented JabRef from starting in rare cases bug report in the forum.
- We fixed an unhandled exception when saving an entry containing unbalanced braces #2571
- Fixed a display issue when removing a group with a long name #1407
- We fixed an issue where the "find unlinked files" functionality threw an error when only one PDF was imported but not assigned to an entry #2577
- We fixed issue where escaped braces were incorrectly counted when calculating brace balance in a field #2561
- We fixed an issue introduced with Version 3.8.2 where executing the
Rename PDFs-cleanup operation moved the files to the file directory. #2526
- We improved the performance when opening a big library that still used the old groups format. Fixes an issue raised in the forum.
- We fixed an issue where the
Move linked files to default file directory- cleanup operation did not move the files to the location of the bib-file. #2454
- We fixed an issue where executing
Move fileon a selected file in the
general-tab could overwrite an existing file. #2385
- We fixed an issue with importing groups and subgroups #2600
- Fixed an issue where title-related key patterns did not correspond to the documentation. #2604 #2589
- We fixed an issue which prohibited the citation export to external programs on MacOS. #2613
- We fixed an issue where the file folder could not be changed when running
Get fulltextin the
- Newly created libraries no longer have the executable bit set under POSIX/Linux systems. The file permissions are now set to
664 (-rw-rw-r--). #2635
- Fixed an issue where names were split inconsistently with the BibTeX conventions #2652
- Ctrl + A now correctly selects all entries again. #2615
- We fixed an issue where the dialog for selecting the main file directory in the preferences opened the wrong folder
- OpenOffice text formatting now handles nested tags properly #2483
- The group selection is no longer lost when switching tabs #1104