Version 4.3.1 (2013-04-28)
- Fix: Importing library into Eclipse as a Maven module now works correctly.
- Prevent dispatching touch events to both action bar and content view on API 11 and up.
- Add Hebrew and Brazillian translations to i18n module.
Version 4.3.0 (2013-04-15)
- New: FEST module for testing ActionBarSherlock classes.
- New: i18n module for including internationalized strings used by actionbar.
- Removed dialog themes.
SearchViewsuggestions now work properly.
- Fix: Prevent rare NPE when restoring state on pre-Honeycomb devices.
- Fix: Correct behavior of
- Fix: Handle cases where
Locale.ROOTis not present on pre-Honeycomb.
- Fix: Correct tab measurement edge-case on pre-Honeycomb.
- Use custom Toast layout to ensure consistent look and feel.
- Fix: Prevent monkey runners from uselessly crashing.
- Fix: Do not hold on to old menu items after a call to
- Fix: Ensure
ShareActionProviderworks when only one intent is available.
- Fix: Scroll list navigation to the selected item when opened.
Version 4.2.0 (2012-10-07)
artifactId is now 'actionbarsherlock'.
.Dialog themes are now deprecated. These will be removed in a future
version of the library.
SearchViewwidget for standard search interaction (API 8+ only)
ShareActionProviderin the split action bar no longer fills the entire screen.
ShareActionProvidernow does file I/O on a background thread.
- Fix: Automatically correct
ColorDrawablenot respecting bounds when used as a stacked background.
- Fix: Ensure fragments collection is present before dispatching events.
- Fix: XML-defined
onClicksearches the correct context for the declared method.
- Fix: Ensure action mode start/finish callbacks are invoked on the activity for the native action bar.
- Fix: Allow tab callbacks to have a fragment transaction instance for any
- Fix: Ensure
CollapsibleActionViewcallbacks are dispatched in both native and compatbility action bars.
- Fix: Remove
.ForceOverflowthemes. These never should have been included.
Version 4.1.0 (2012-05-17)
- Fix: Altered technique used for menu event dispatching through the fragment manager for greater control.
- Fix: Do not dispatch menu creation event if the activity has been destroyed.
- Fix: Correct potential
NullPointerExceptionwhen expanding an action item.
- Fix: Correct potential
NullPointerExceptionwhen the hardware menu key was pressed in an activity that is forcing the overflow menu.
- Fix: Do not set a listener on the native action bar tab wrapper unless a compatibility listener has been set.
- Fix: Ensure the compatibility animation framework is always available on views even if they were previously detached from the view hierarchy.
Version 4.0.2 (2012-04-15)
- Upgrade to r7 support library.
- Fix: Do not trigger menu creation after
onCreateif activity is finishing.
- Fix: Prevent overflow from displaying if there are no overflow action items.
- Fix: Long-pressing menu key no longer triggers overflow.
- Fix: Use proper tab state-list drawable to mimic ICS.
- Fix: Ensure dispatching menu creation and preparation to fragments can
falsewhen appropriate to avoid rendering artifacts.
- Fix: Properly save and fetch action mode tag on ICS.
- Fix: Add missing density-specific resources for certain asssets and remove unused assets.
Version 4.0.1 (2012-03-25)
ShareActionProviderwidget for use as action items.
- Re-add 'Styled' sample to provide a more comprehensive theming example.
- Fix: Do not dispatch options item selection to fragments if the activity handles the callback.
- Fix: Prevent menu key from opening the overflow menu when an action mode is currently displayed.
- Fix: Ensure fragment transaction instance is not
nullon initial tab selection callback.
- Fix: Displaying an action mode while using stacked tab navigation no longer throws an exception.
- Fix: Using expandable action item callbacks no longer results in a possible exception on older devices.
Version 4.0.0 (2012-03-07)
Complete rewrite of the library to backport the Android 4.0 action bar.
- The minimum supported version of Android is now 2.1 (API 7).
- New base activities are provided (e.g.,
SherlockFragmentActivity) which extend from the native activities.
- The support library sources are no longer included in the library. You must
android-support-v4.jarin your project separately.
- Theming now mirrors that of the native action bar through the use of multiple
styles rather than through
am-prefixed attributes in the theme.
- The action bar can be statically attached to an activity view without the requirement of using one of the provided base activities.
Version 3.5.1 (2012-01-03)
FragmentManagercan no longer occur when an attempt is being made to save to a
Bundlethat has not yet been created.
- Fix: Pre-3.0 action item submenu dialogs now properly dismiss themselves when an item of theirs is selected.
Version 3.5.0 (2011-12-18)
Library now uses the
r6version of the compatibility library for its base. Ice Cream Sandwich-specific implementations are currently disabled, however, but will be added in a future version of the library.
ActivityCompathave be added back in to ease transition to this library but all their methods and the classes themselves have been deprecated.
Rewritten menu and action item support from Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Removed the need for the custom
Window.FEATURE_ACTION_ITEM_TEXTflag. You should now use the
showAsActionattribute and/or the
setShowAsAction(int)method on each
MenuItemto control whether or not text is shown
- Action item dividers are now added automatically only when necessary to distinguish possible confusion between action items.
- Fix: Action views now properly size themselves within the bounded space of the menu.
- Removed the need for the custom
Fix: List navigation no longer becomes unusable on certain device configurations.
findItem(int)method now properly returns the support version of
Fix: Invisible sub-menu items are no longer shown on the pre-3.0 popup list.
Version 3.4.2 (2001-11-09)
- Fix: Stacked action bar now properly sets the tab bar background based on the theme.
Version 3.4.1 (2011-11-09)
FragmentPagerAdapterhas been changed to
publicscope to allow for easier access to your fragments that it is managing.
- Action bar will now animate when calling
SherlockPreferenceActivitynow provides full fragment and loader support.
- Examples for the plugins are now in their own sample application.
- Fix: Home icon no longer erroneously clipped when it exceeds the size of the action bar.
- Fix: Tabs will now scroll horizontally to mimic the native action bar behavior.
- Fix: Plugins now properly DO NOT inline their
- Fix: Tabs below the action bar are now styled with a default background so that they do not incorrectly inherit an applied background unless explicity declared.
Version 3.4.0 (2011-10-30)
- Library now uses the
r4version of the compatibility library for its base. Ice Cream Sandwich-specific implementations are currently disabled, however, but will be added in a future version of the library.
- Context menu callbacks now use the support version of
MenuItemto maintain consistency.
- Added preference plugin which provides an action bar enhanced preference screen.
abHomeLayouttheme attribute is now honored.
onPrepareOptionsMenuis now properly dispatched upon menu invalidation.
Version 3.3.1 (2011-10-20)
ADT 14 is now required. Maven 3 is required if building from the command line.
onClickattributes will now check for an
onClickmethod that takes an
- Tabs on medium screens in landscape now display inline rather than below the action bar to mirror how Android 4.0 behaves with the same configuration.
- Fix: Menu inflater properly checks activity context for
onClickmethod declared in the XML.
- Fix: Dialog fragment properly saves its
showDialogstate when not being used as a popup.
- Fix: Return
-1when in tab navigation but no tab is selected. This brings the library in line with the post-3.0 behavior.
- Fix: Removing a menu group no longer throws an
getTabAtno longer throw
NullPointerExceptions on post-3.0 when no tab was selected or no tab existed at the specified position, respectively.
findFragmentByIdnow properly returns fragments attached to
android.R.id.contentwhen run on pre-3.0 devices.
Version 3.3.0 (2011-10-11)
- Tabs are now displayed below the action bar on all medium-screen devices and portrait large-screen devices.
- Fix: Dialog fragments no longer throw an
IllegalStateExceptionwhen being used as a regular fragment (i.e., not as a popup). See StackOverflow for more information.
- Fix: Popping a fragment off of the back stack now properly assigns its parent activity.
- Fix: An activity result no longer causes a
NullPointerExceptionwhen the target fragment no longer exists.
- Fix: Action item dividers are now properly initially hidden when their associated action items are as well.
Version 3.2.3 (2011-09-16)
- Fix: Fragments in a
ViewPagerthat contributed items to the options menu were caught in a race condition causing inconsistent results when a new page was selected. This regression was introduced in version 3.2.2.
Version 3.2.2 (2011-09-15)
- Fix: Side-effects related to using
FragmentMapActivitydue to how it was referencing resources from the main library.
- Fix: Fragments adjacent to the currently selected fragment in a
ViewPagerno longer receive context menu events.
- Fix: Eliminate exception when inflating context menus on 3.0+ when using
ViewPagernow determines whether or not an activity menu invalidation is required independently of whether or not fragments were created or destroyed. This should fix an edge case where an activity with a
ViewPagercontaining only two fragments would not get its menu properly invalidated.
Version 3.2.1 (2011-09-12)
- Fix: Action mode API incorrectly using the native
MenuItemclasses causing an easy pitfall for
- Fix: Large action bar backgrounds increasing the size beyond that alloted in the theme.
Version 3.2.0 (2011-09-05)
Added support for
MapViewand the Google APIs through the use of
FragmentMapActivity. If you are using a map within a fragment you must ensure it is always attached to an activity which extends from this new base class.
Since supporting maps requires compiling against the Google APIs, this functionality is implemented in the form of a plugin which is to be used alongside the normal library. You can choose to add it as an additional library project or by including it as a
.jar. Maven users may simply include the additional dependency (artifactId:
Fix: Fragments adjacent to the currently selected fragment in a
ViewPagerno longer contribute to the activity menu.
ActionBar.Tabhas been changed from an interface to an abstract class to mirror its native counterpart.
Version 3.1.3 (2011-08-14)
- Renamed all resources to be prefixed with
abs__to avoid conflicts when including in your project.
- Fix: Action bar background being set on two views causing artifacts to remain on screen when the action bar was hidden.
- Fix: Incorrect sub-menu item being selected by default when the sub-menu was triggered from the native options menu on pre-3.0.
MenuItem.setVisiblenow properly updates the associated action item and native menu item visible state.
- Fix: Adding items to a menu now honors its ordering and category.
- Fix: Fragment options item selected callback now uses the proper version of
Version 3.1.2 (2011-08-07)
MenuItem.getMenuInfo()was throwing runtime exception. Will now just return
- Fix: Dragging over a
WebViewcontained in a
ViewPagerwould not register.
- Fix: Inflation of context menu incorrectly being handled by the custom menu inflater for the library.
Version 3.1.1 (2011-07-31)
MenuItem.getSubMenunow returns a support instance rather than a native instance.
- Fix: Fragment methods
onInflateincorrectly regressed to use
Activityinstead of a
FragmentActivityin their method signatures.
- Fix: Retained fragments not being re-attached on pre-3.0 when attached to
android.R.id.contentupon activity recreation.
onPrepareOptionsMenunot dispatched to fragments. This still will only occur if the activity method returns true (which is the default).
nullwhen the item was not found on Android 3.0+.
Version 3.1.0 (2011-07-22)
Due to shortcomings in the Android theming system, a small change must be made
in how this library handles themes. If you were using a custom style for
actionBarStyle you must now specify its attributes in the root of the theme
and prefix them with 'ab'.
You can see an example of this in the
SherlockCustom theme in
- Library now uses the
r3version of the compatibility library for its base.
actionBarStyleis no longer a valid theme attribute (see note above).
- Added the demo project included with the new compatibility library under
samples/demos/and merged in the old 'featuredemo'.
- Dividers are now shown on pre-3.0 devices between all action items.
Window.FEATURE_ACTION_BAR_OVERLAYis now honored on pre-3.0 devices.
- Inflation of XML menu resources will now honor
- Buttons for displaying the determinate and indeterminate progress bars have been added to the feature toggle demo.
- Added support for indeterminate progress bar. Due to the
finalmodifier on the native type, you must use
IndexOutOfBoundsExceptions when the item was not found.
- Fix: Theme attributes for home item data (e.g., icon, logo) will not be
overwritten by the special
MenuIteminstance for home.
- Fix: Native strings can now be specified for an XML menu
Widget.Sherlock.Light.Spinner.DropDown.ActionBarstyles are now
Widget.Sherlock.ActionBarView_TabXXXstyles are now
Version 3.0.3 (2011-07-17)
This version is a hotfix for incompatibilities introduced with the SDKs for 3.1 r2 and 3.2 r1. Due to unavoidable changes in the underlying SDK, the library must now be compiled against API level 13.
actionModePopupWindowStyleare no longer valid theme attributes.
Version 3.0.2 (2011-06-23)
- Sub-menus for action items are now shown in a list dialog.
- Moved certain classes to the
com.actionbarsherlock.internalpackage which were not meant for public consumption. Despite being given
publicscope in this new package, these classes should NOT be used under any circumstances as their API can be considered highly volatile and is subject to change often and without warning.
Version 3.0.1 (2011-06-08)
onOptionsItemSelected()not being called in fragments if the activity version returns
onCreateOptionsMenu()not being called in fragments on Android 3.0+.
- New: Enable action item text display on pre-Android 3.0 by calling
setCustomView()no longer automatically enables the custom view on pre-3.0. You must call
setDisplayShowCustomEnabled()in order to display the view.
Version 3.0.0 (2011-06-05)
The API has been rewritten to mimic that of the native action bar. As a result,
usage now only requires changing a few imports to use the support versions
of classes and calling
getSupportActionBar(). See the README for more info.
The rewrite necessitated tight interaction with the
to the point where its sources are now included. You are no longer required to
have the standalone
More details are available at http://actionbarsherlock.com
Version 2.1.1 (2011-03-21)
No changes to library code.
- Moved library to the root of the repository.
samples/dependencies.pyscript to automatically download the needed dependencies for the sample projects.
Version 2.1.0 (2011-03-21)
WARNING: The Android Compatibility Library (v4) is now required.
ActionBarSherlock.ListActivityfor extension by implementing activities, the latter of which is deprecated. This affords a much tighter integration and allows for the use of other new features listed below.
- New API method:
layout(Fragment)will use the fragment argument as the content to the activity.
- New API method:
menu(int)allows for the inflation of menu XMLs from a resource. For the non-native implementation, the XML can be inflated to a custom Menu which can then be applied appropriately to the third-party action bar. Sub-menus are also supported. Third-party action bar handlers should implement
ActionBarSherlock.HasMenufor this functionality. This feature requires that activities extend from one of the provided activity base classes.
- New API method:
homeAsUp(boolean). This mimics the native method
setDisplayHomeAsUpEnalbedon the native action bar. Third-party action bar handlers should implement
ActionBarSherlock.HasHomeAsUpfor this functionality.
- New API method:
useLogo(boolean)will trigger the action bar to hide the application icon/home button and title and show a larger logo representing the application. Third-party action bar handlers should implement
ActionBarSherlock.HasLogofor this functionality.
- New API method:
listNavigation(SpinnerAdapter, OnNavigationListener). Tells the action bar to use drop-down style navigation with the specified list of items and callback listener. Third-party action bar handlers should implement
ActionBarSherlock.HasListNavigationfor this functionality.
- Javadocs are now available at jakewharton.github.com/ActionBarSherlock.
- A standalone JAR is now available via the
GitHub downloads page
or in my
personal maven repository
Version 2.0.1 (2011-03-11)
Class.forName()for detection of native action bar. This provides compatability all the way back to Android 1.5.
Version 2.0.0 (2011-03-09)
- New and better API.
- More sane logic and attachment to activity.
- Extensible via generics. Implement any ActionBar or roll your own with minimal effort.
- Now a library project for easy inclusion in applications.
Version 1.0.0 (2011-03-07)