Get started, get far, get happy!
An experimental tool chain for Sitecore.
Watch the videos on YouTube:
- 01 - Idea and concepts
- 06 - Visual Studio, T4 templates, unit testing with FakeDB
- 07 - Linting a Habitat project with Pathfinder
- 08 - Linting a website with Pathfinder
Please notice that some details in these videos are out of date.
- 02 - HelloWorld
- 03 - Unit Testing (Functionality removed)
- 04 - Html Templates
- 05 - Code Generation, Visual Studio and Grunt
Download the latest Pathfinder build to try it out.
Follow the walk-throughs:
Pathfinder is an experimental toolchain for Sitecore, that allows developers to use their favorite tools in a familiar fashion to develop Sitecore websites.
The toolchain creates a deliverable package from the source files in a project directory and deploys the package to a website where an installer installs the new files and Sitecore items.
The developer process is familiar; edit source files, build and install the package, run tests or review the changes on website, repeat.
Pathfinder works with TDS, Unicorn, Sitecore Rocks and many other Sitecore tools.
Please notice that this document is a brain dump, so concepts and functionality are probably not explained in a friendly manner.
How does Pathfinder make Sitecore development easier
- Familiar developer experience: Edit source files, build project, test, repeat...
- Text editor agnostic (Visual Studio not required - use Notepad, Notepad++, SublimeText, Atom, VS Code etc.)
- Build process agnostic (command-line tool, so it integrates easily with Grunt, Gulp, MSBuild etc.)
- Everything is a file (easy to edit, search and replace across multiple files, source control friendly)
- If you don't like editing items as files, use TDS or Unicorn to serialize items back to the Pathfinder project
- Project directory has whole and single truth (source is not spread across development projects, databases and websites) (contineous integration friendly)
- Project is packaged into a NuGet package and deployed to the website
- Dependency tracking through NuGet dependencies
- NuGet package installer on the Sitecore website
- Sitecore.Pathfinder.Core NuGet package tweaks Sitecore defaults to be easier to work with (e.g. removes initial workflow)
- Lint or check you project and website with over 120 checkers
- Support for Html files as Sitecore Layout definitions
- Support for Html Templates (with Mustache tags) makes getting started with the Sitecore Rendering Engine easier
- Support for React renderings (.jsx)
- Code Generation for generating strongly typed item models, factories and unit tests
Read the FAQ
For more documentation see Pathfinder Documentation.