StoryTime is a 'lite' remake of the popular MMORPG game MapleStory. Although written in Java, it also incorporates JSON, XML, and Java Internal Reflection techniques.
In simple terms, the game is a survival 2D singleplayer platformer. The player controls a character and must attempt to survive for as long as possible against waves of enemies.
DOWNLOAD PRE-COMPILED GAME (v1.00): StoryTime.jar - DropBox Link
The goal of this project was purely for educational purposes, that is, to develop an understanding of game design and the game development process. LibGDX (an open source Java-based game development framework) was used as the underlying graphics engine.
- Currently supports keyboard and mouse input only (can be still compiled on other devices thanks to LibGDX's cross compatibility)
- Wave based survival
- Customizable key input in Options menu
- Double jumping / drop down from thin platforms (hold DOWN and press jump on thin platforms)
- Fall damage from high heights
- Highscores and game saves / load saves on startup
- Parallax camera (three layers of background)
- Utilizes the Tiled Map Editor for the creation and storage of 2D platformer maps
- Asset Handler parses a customized text file to dynamically load game assets
- Entity component system with object pooling!
- As previously stated, this project was purely made for educational purposes. Since this is a remake of an already existing game, it utilizes some assets that were not created by us. Namely, the character sprites were extracted directly from MapleStory and the music files were borrowed from both MapleStory and Ragnarok Online. We do not claim any rights to these assets. On the occurrence that you are a creator of any of the assets used in this game and would like to have your assets removed, please feel free to contact us.