Ect output #97

Closed
wants to merge 2 commits into
from

Projects

None yet

2 participants

@luispedro
Contributor

Previously, I don't think there was a way to get the results of the ECT scheme. The output format is a bit artificial (everyone has 0, except the winner who gets 1), but it exactly the same as oaa, so I chose it as you can then switch between the two very easily.

@JohnLangford
Owner

I'm not quite(?) understanding the issue you are trying to address. I
can make ECT give me nontrivial output like this:

echo "2 | foo
2 | foo" | ./vw --ect 2 -p /dev/stdout --quiet
1.000000
2.000000

-John

On 01/28/2013 06:48 AM, Luis Pedro Coelho wrote:

Previously, I don't think there was a way to get the results of the
ECT scheme. The output format is a bit artificial (everyone has 0,
except the winner who gets 1), but it exactly the same as oaa, so I
chose it as you can then switch between the two very easily.


    You can merge this Pull Request by running

git pull https://github.com/luispedro/vowpal_wabbit ect_output

Or view, comment on, or merge it at:

#97

    Commit Summary
@luispedro
Contributor

-p works fine, but -r gives no output on master:

echo "2 | foo
2 | foo" | ./vw --ect 2 -r /dev/stdout --quiet
@JohnLangford
Owner

What purpose do you see for -r with ect?

Doing a unary encoding of -p doesn't seem like a good use of an option.

-John

On 2/2/13, Luis Pedro Coelho notifications@github.com wrote:

-p works fine, but -r gives no output on master:

echo "2 | foo
2 | foo" | ./vw --ect 2 -r /dev/stdout --quiet

Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
#97 (comment)

@luispedro
Contributor

It was mostly for symmetry with other methods. This way, you can swap --oaa for --ect and keep the same code to parse the output of vw.

I can understand the reasons for rejecting the patch as a non-improvement, though. Your call.

@JohnLangford
Owner

I see. It turns out there was a bug introduced into the oaa code that
this points out. With the fix, we see:

echo "2 |
2 |" | ./vw --oaa 2 -p /dev/stdout --quiet
1.000000
2.000000

This gives you the same interface, and -p is the right interface
because the meaning of "raw prediction" for ect is rather ambiguous.

-John

On 2/2/13, Luis Pedro Coelho notifications@github.com wrote:

It was mostly for symmetry with other methods. This way, you can swap
--oaa for --ect and keep the same code to parse the output of
vw.

I can understand the reasons for rejecting the patch as a non-improvement,
though. Your call.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
#97 (comment)

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment