software engineer | leader | database developer | mentor | ui/ux designer
To apply and grow my existing skill-set in a challenging, fast-paced, and rewarding software engineering environment. To bring a new level of efficiency and stability to software projects by utilizing the latest technologies and software engineering ideals.
I Love Technology (and Learning)
What Drives Me
I'm driven by being challenged. I enjoy facing, dissecting, and solving problems. I also like to help people solve their own problems — view my profile on Stack Overflow (http://stackoverflow.com/users/374198/josh-m?tab=answers) for examples. I am motivated by knowing that someone is going to use and enjoy what I am working on. I strive to create concise solutions to the programming problems I face. I believe code is almost an art. A lot of people can write something which works, but not everyone can do that correctly. I pride myself on writing clean, concise, reusable and scalable code.
Please find below a small collection of my work. I've highlighted my involvement on each project.
Accreditation, certification, and quality management software.
Federal Event Management Portal
Custom-built event management system.
This event management portal allows for the quick and easy setup of completely customizable Federal event-related websites. Includes complete CMS functionality, event registration, and more. Tech. Used: C#, MVC, MS SQL, HTML, CSS, TypeScript, UI/UX
Health Indicators Warehouse
The HIW contains data from 125+ sources across 1,200+ health indicators. This project is part of the Data.gov (http://www.data.gov)'s Open Data Initiative (http://www.whitehouse.gov/open) and exposes massive amounts of publicly-consumable health-related data. Tech. Used: C#, MS SQL, HTML, CSS, JS, UI/UX
HIW Developers & Services
Exposes data from the HIW. Custom CodeGenerator templates were used to generate the service methods and documentation. The system includes a real-time URL builder/service tester and API key registration/verification. Tech. Used: C#, MS SQL, HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JS, Knockout, UI/UX
This tool allows you and your team to get the nuts and bolts of any project up and running amazingly fast. The backbone of CodeGenerator relies on XML and XSLT. You design an XSL Template once and CodeGenerator handles the rest. Tech. Used: C# WinForms, MS SQL, My SQL, UI/UX
The goal of this project is to provide an inexpensive, easy-to-use web application for liberty candidates. This platform will be available to any candidate who is on the side of liberty - regardless of party their party affiliation. 10+ instances. Tech. Used: Rails, My SQL, HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JS, Knockout, UI/UX
Carson for Congress
Built atop Platform Liberty and customized to fit the needs of Jeffrey Carson's 2014 Congressional campaign. Tech. Used: Rails, My SQL, HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JS, Knockout, UI/UX
A robust aircraft listing engine allows potential aircraft buyers to easily find what they're looking for. Sellers can manage their inventory and add detailed information for each of their aircraft. Tech. Used: PHP, My SQL, HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JS, Knockout, UI/UX
Although this app is no longer available, since Netflix ditched their public API, it was the most complete Netflix client on the platform at the time. It included queue management features and the ability to search and browse the entire Netflix library. Tech. Used: C#, Windows, Phone, API, Silverlight, UI/UX
A custom e-commerce backend including a full-featured shopping cart with Paypal, Google Checkout, VeriSign Payment Services (now Paypal), UPS and USPS integration. Custom order processor to monitor fulfillment and shipment status. Tech. Used: C#, MS SQL, HTML, CSS, JS, UI/UX, API
Certifications & Skills
- CMMI for Development v1.3 certified.
- Bottom-up database design and development.
- Project & feature design and development.
- UI design and implementation.
- Clean, organized, efficient, reusable code.
- Automating as much as possible, whenever possible.
- Writing and delivering internal and external documentation, demos, presentations, tutorials, etc.
- .NET, C#, WebAPI 2, ASP.NET MVC & WebForms, Java
- Node/NPM, JSPM, NuGet
- Visual Studio, VS Code, Eclipse, NetBeans
- Git, Subversion, TFS/TFVC — view my profile on Github (https://github.com/JoshMcCullough)
- IIS, Apache, Nginx, Tomcat, Weblogic
- Elasticsearch, CouchDB, SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle
- Windows, Linux
- Networking, DNS, server management (Windows, Linux, Amazon Web Services)
Skills & Tech
I am a highly skilled software engineer who prides himself on completing tasks on time while maintaining high quality standards and adhering to software development best practices. I...
- mentor and train junior developers and implement coding standards;
- do everything from infrastructure configuration to backend and frontend design and implementation;
- plan, research, estimate and develop solutions for Federal & State Government and private-sector contracts;
- am responsible for architecting and developing sophisticated SOAP and RESTful API (HealthIndicators.gov (http://healthindicators.gov));
- make and implement high-level decisions regarding overall application architecture, use and design;
- design and develop entire SQL Server databases; inspect queries and apply performance updates as needed; and am constantly learning new technologies, frameworks and tools.
- Keeping up with the latest in software development.
- 3D printing — QuantumConcepts on Thingiverse.com (http://www.thingiverse.com/QuantumConcepts/designs).
- General DIY and learning how things work.
- Technology, astronomy, travel, photography.
Quantum Concepts: 11/2008 - Present; Leesburg, Virginia
Owner / Freelance Contractor
- Work directly with clients to solve technical problems, improve work-flow, and suggest resolutions.
- Research, design, develop, test and deploy software for mobile devices.
- Write applications using the .NET, .NET Core & the .NET Compact Framework.
- Develop and publicly release custom code-generation tool, CodeGenerator, which provides a huge boost to team productivity as well as code stability and versatility.
ARMATURE: 3/2016 - 3/2018; Dulles, Virginia
Senior Software Engineer
- Full-stack development using C#, WebApi 2, Elasticsearch, CouchDB and Aurelia.
- Maintain, improve, and add features across a dozen micro-services.
- Design and implement RESTful APIs for large Quality Management system.
- Participate in and lead "dev sessions" sharing new technologies, frameworks, and patterns.
i360: 9/2015 - 3/2016; Arlington, Virginia
- Responsible for full stack development (front-end to API to back-end) for fast-paced, large solution.
- Utilize best-practices such as dependency injection, unit testing, continuous testing and continuous integration.
- Create and update internal NuGet packages, Visual Studio extensions, and Visual Studio analyzers (Roslyn) to enforce and enhance development process.
Social & Scientific Systems: 5/2010 - 9/2015; Silver Spring, Maryland
Senior Software Engineer
- Selected amongst hundreds of employees to attend months-long Leadership Training instructed by the executive team.
- Participate in and lead CMMI documentation/appraisals, code reviews, client demos, standups, training sessions.
- Lead developer for the Health Indicators Warehouse (HealthIndicators.gov (http://healthindicators.gov)) and other government and private sector web applications.
- Senior Developer responsible for system and database design as well as UI design and implementation.
- Work with database team in order to make performance updates (indexes, etc.) and recommend structural changes.
- Develop unified build process and documentation for performing deployments.
- Deploy to QA, UAT and Production environments and manage all servers from initial configuration onward.
Corporate Executive Board: 11/2008 - 11/2009; Arlington, Virginia
- Full life-cycle design and development for system to generate reports and benchmarks based on survey data.
- Built on ASP.NET 3.5/WebForms, SQL Server 2005/2008, Aspose.Slides (dynamic PPT altering tool), Dundas Charts.
- Survey data consumption, configuration, calculation, and reporting.
- Ability to perform Dynamic Reporting based on user-selected demographic elements.
- Develop web interface wrapper to interact with survey data provider.
Avenity: 2/2005 - 4/2010; Reston, Virginia
- Design, develop, and unit test complex client/server applications using both .NET Remoting and Web Services API layers.
- Utilize and improve a custom code generator to generate data objects and API layers.
- Lead developer for related public-facing web site.
- Develop complex web application and Windows services using Java/J2EE platform.
- Create and refine complex SQL queries, stored procedures and views on Oracle platform.
- Go-to-guy for network and server configuration.
- Developed in-house time-tracking system.
- Presented software development training courses to other employees.
Champlain College: 8/2000 - 12/2004; Burlington, Vermont
- Received a Bachelor Degree in Software Engineering in December 2004.
- Received an Associate Degree in Software Development in December 2003.
- Software-related courses focused on hands-on skills in addition to theory.
- Selected as a tutor in the Programming Lab.
National Institute of Standards and Technology: 6/2002 - 8/2002; Gaithersburg, Maryland
- Summer intern at NIST in Information Technology/Biometrics group.
- Worked on Common Biometrics Exchange File Format (CBEFF) project (C++) and contributed to a related paper.
- Received two certificates of accomplishment during my internship.
If you'd like to get in touch with me, please use one of the following methods:
Email: email@example.com; Phone: (802) 318-6441
For a more interesting experience, please visit http://JoshMcCullough.me.