- Homepage: http://dcparker.github.com/ruby-gmail/
- Code: http://github.com/dcparker/ruby-gmail
- Gem: http://gemcutter.org/gems/ruby-gmail
- Daniel Parker of BehindLogic.com
Extra thanks for specific feature contributions from:
A Rubyesque interface to Gmail, with all the tools you'll need. Search, read and send multipart emails; archive, mark as read/unread, delete emails; and manage labels.
- Search emails
- Read emails (handles attachments)
- Emails: Label, archive, delete, mark as read/unread/spam
- Create and delete labels
- Create and send multipart email messages in plaintext and/or html, with inline images and attachments
- Utilizes Gmail's IMAP & SMTP, MIME-type detection and parses and generates MIME properly.
- May not correctly read malformed MIME messages. This could possibly be corrected by having IMAP parse the MIME structure.
- Cannot grab the plain or html message without also grabbing attachments. It might be nice to lazy-[down]load attachments.
require 'gmail' gmail = Gmail.new(username, password) do |g| read_count = g.inbox.count(:read) # => .count take the same arguments as .emails unread = g.inbox.emails(:unread) unread.archive! unread.delete! unread.move_to('FunStuff') # => labels and removes from inbox unread.message # => a MIME::Message, parsed from the email body unread.mark(:read) unread.message.attachments.length unread.label('FunStuff') # => Just adds the label 'FunStuff' unread.message.save_attachments_to('path/to/save/into') unread.message.attachments.save_to_file('path/to/save/into') unread.mark(:spam) end # Optionally use a block like above to have the gem automatically login and logout, # or just use it without a block after creating the object like below, and it will # automatically logout at_exit. The block method is recommended in order to limit # your signed-in session. older = gmail.inbox.emails(:after => '2009-03-04', :before => '2009-03-15') todays_date = Time.parse(Time.now.strftime('%Y-%m-%d')) yesterday = gmail.inbox.emails(:after => (todays_date - 24*60*60), :before => todays_date) todays_unread = gmail.inbox.emails(:unread, :after => todays_date) new_email = MIME::Message.generate new_email.to "firstname.lastname@example.org" new_email.subject "Having fun in Puerto Rico!" plain, html = new_email.generate_multipart('text/plain', 'text/html') plain.content = "Text of plain message." html.content = "<p>Text of <em>html</em> message.</p>" new_email.attach_file('some_image.dmg') gmail.send_email(new_email)
- shared-mime-info rubygem (for MIME-detection when attaching files)
sudo gem install ruby-gmail -s http://gemcutter.org
(The MIT License)
Copyright (c) 2009 BehindLogic
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the 'Software'), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED 'AS IS', WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.