About the JuniorDevSG Mentoring Program
We did a survey with the JuniorDevSG group and identified three areas that they needed mentoring guidance:
- Career coaching and guidance
- Professional growth
- Work related / technical skills
For technical skills, we will have Developer’s Gym coding workshops with specific skills training.
For career guidance & professional growth, we feel it might be best addressed with regular mentoring sessions.
Goals of Mentoring Program
- Provide career coaching and guidance that will help the Mentees in making the right decisions in their career.
- Share life lessons on professional growth that Mentees may excel in their current and future work roles.
- This is NOT a coding tuition centre.
Why group mentoring?
- We feel that doing this with a consistent group and on a regular cadence would provide a safe zone for more meaningful & deeper sharing, and for the group to help each other in a sustainable manner.
- Our hope is that they will form some sort of accountability circle in the groups.
- Group make-up:
- 2 mentors + 3 mentees
- 1 male and 1 female mentor (as best as we can)
- We believe that a healthy & balanced mentor to mentee ratio is crucial to providing quality attention and care for every individual in this program
- As such, do understand our need to limit the intake numbers based on the number of mentors we manage to recruit for the program
- For mentees with gender preference, we will put them in an all-women or all-men group
Group Mentoring Sessions
- 6 sessions (3 September to 17 December) - once every 3 weeks (Tues)
- Same venue for all groups
- Session Agenda:
- Talk by mentors on a specific theme
- Mentoring group sessions (discuss on theme)
- Share back from groups on what they have discussed
- Groups may arrange for additional social gatherings in between the mentoring sessions
- Buddy System between a mentor & mentee in the same group
- Some mentors may need to have have more than 1 buddy
- 1-to-1 relationship - someone that you are responsible for.
- Someone you can pay more attention to and have additional follow-up / check-in with.
- You are encouraged to have 1-on-1 sessions with your Mentee Buddy.
Code of Conduct
Our code of conduct covers these following areas:
- Topics for Discussion
- Personal Relationships
- Meetings in Person
- Prohibited Advice
- Knowledgeable Advice
- Business Relationships
- Duty to Report Code Violations