Slides for a data visualization meet-up talk on the changing landscape of data visualization tools - Nov. 2016.
Slides were created with reveal.js and are hosted publically on slides.com.
- Key file is slides-dataviztoolshistorylargeorg_20161114.html
- "Images" folder has images used in the slides
- "older" folder contains earlier drafts.
Meet-up Talk info
THE CHANGING LANDSCAPE OF DATA VISUALIZATION TOOLS IN LARGE ORGANIZATIONS
Two Interconnected Topics:
- Changing landscape of data visualization and analytical tools: Quick Overview of 1976-2016
- Data visualization in large organizations:
- What is their value to large organizations?
- What matters in deciding what tools to adopt? What large organization characteristics influence their adoption?
Slides on Slides.com
Two other webpages used in the presentation
Timeline of Key Data Visualization Tools 1976-2016:A
A timeline I created using the Knight School of Journalism's "timeline.js tool. It presents a list of key data visualization tools and puts their first releases in context of new methods or technologies they were able to use or patterns of tool development they followed.
Evolution of the Web Data Visualization:
This was developed as a google chrome team experiment with some outside consultancies in 2012. It is used in the presentation to point out that certain web-based data visualization methods and code libraries couldn't exist until widespread adoption of certain web standards in common browsers.