Expired To Be
Products that you own, such as medicines, pantry and refrigerated items, etc., typically come with expiration dates.
Expired To Be provides notification reminders for your expiring items at a time of your choosing.
Simply add an item (1), expiration date (2), and how much 'lead time' you would like (3).
Your browser will show a # count for items as they come due for renewal.
- Chrome Browser Extension - Available for free on the Chrome Web Store.
Be reminded of little one-offs you don't think about too often; like butter, medicine, or the cleaning supplies under your sink.
The primary notification for when an item expires is an orange number count that will show in the extension's icon (in the Chrome toolbar). This expiration count will clear when the expired item is either deactivated, or updated with a new valid reminder date.
- Display listing of all expiration items:
- Expired items will be distinct, as will any item you are currently 'editing'.
- Items that have alarms set will show an 'orange or blue sun' near its 'active' status.
- You can edit, delete, and de/activate items individually.
- Expiration items are stored in the browser's own storage. There are no connections to any 3rd party services.
- You can export all of your existing expiration items.
- You can import over 500 items (the app will walk through saving each item from the list you provide).
- Uses: Icon Badge Text, Data Storage, and Chrome.Storage.Sync.
Helpful Sites and Pages
All of these are available from the Chrome API Documentation
See Happy Paths file.
App Genesis: Detailed Notes
Bugs and Enhancements
A list of longer term considerations:
- Add 'last export' date and remind about backing up (you really don't want to lose your list!)
- Store: Date, number of items at that time, number of active items at that time, ...
- Preference Option: Enable Check [yes|no] _ How often: [1-dy|2-dy|3-dy|5-dy|1-wk (default)|2-wk|3-wk|4-wk]
- Preference Option: Can/should show reminder alert on the toolbar icon? Different color background (with a 0 if no expires---just to show for the export reminder (usually it won't show if there are none)).
- Allow categorizing (or labeling)
- Get code prepped for a mobile version of the app (as part of an even bigger suite).
Expiration Reminders for groceries, medicine, warranties, etc. A quick and convenient way to set and be reminded of expiring items.
Because by the time you need something---it's expired! > Simply add an item (1), expiration date (2), and how much 'lead time' you would like (3). > Your browser will show a # count for items as they come due for renewal. Expired To Be is a free browser extension. It is also open source on GitHub and is provided with detailed notes and release notes: https://github.com/KDCinfo/expired-to-be