

President and VP Election 2025

Friday, July 11, 2025 8:22 PM

President Candidate: Richard Serrano

Richard: I'm looking forward to fixing the issues we had, university side. I feel like that put us in a position where we couldn't really excel with them always being on our ass. The reason pres/VP are so admin heavy is because we had so many issues going on. I think going into the position will involve being more transparent with members so they know what's going on and I will be the face of the team so I want to make sure people can understand the roles and who to go to for things. When I leave the team, I wanna leave it in better condition than I found it. I wanna make the next person's job easier. I wanna make it to a position where we're not just a low budget team and want to push for better sponsorship relations. When stuff happens and our car breaks and we can't take our cars to events, not great. Want to work on building better sponsor relations.

Chance: Do you have a plan for the financial situation? What does that look like?

RS: The amounts we were getting from certain funds were not clear and I want to put out a certain safe number to where we have emergency funds on top of our funds, to keep some money in case an emergency happens and we need something quick. Pushing a new way for us to access what we're gaining and what we're spending to have like a chart.

David: What's your plan for trying to help the school situation?

RS: The biggest thing with them is transparency and being clear what we want with them. They ask what's actually going on, and being more level with them and having a sort of newsletter with what's going on with motorsports right now so they can know.

CS: Would you want to instate a board of advisors?

RS: That fell through because of the RSO registration where we had to name all of our advisors. We want to start with that and name all our advisors, I could only list Santana as one this last year. Getting contacts from things like the manufacturing day that are solid from a fresh start would help.

Emil: Were you planning on taking an internship while president?

RS: No, I only do those during summer and I'll be transitioning out in the summer.

Cooper: When is your graduation date?

RS: Like 2027. If everything goes right.

ES: What's your favorite color?

RS: Whatever yours is. Uh, yellow.

DT: You were talking about being more transparent with people, what would you do?

RS: Being more transparent is letting members know what position the team's in and where we're at. If you're not in the shop, you don't know what's going on. As it is, we only have the discord. 'Hey guys, we're going bankrupt!'

Garrett: Richard, now that you're being president, you'll be training a VP. Are you excited for that?

RS: Yes, I want to give better training than I got. Like I said, I wanna leave the team in a better place than I found it. I've been talking to the lady that took over Luis's role and putting stuff that you should know, but having the basics like money ordering and putting in forms. For me, I was confused and had to figure it out on my own and had to ask like past presidents. Setting it up better than what I saw.

ES: What's your favorite animal?

VP Candidate: Varun Devidas

VD: I was looking at roles for VP and it was pretty vague so I'd like to clarify some things. Looking back over the year I've done business and want to ensure it's still good, thinks the admin needs some work and marketing needs work. I don't really know what all the admin stuff entails.

Cooper: You say there's a lack of other majors, do you have a plan of action?

VD: I've already started on some flyers and plan to have directed marketing with captivating posters, borderline propaganda, share the posters and talk to school admin to direct majors our way, also advertise at Kennesaw campus. Cater to Kennesaw people a bit more, don't make them drive down Marietta, don't make them take the rules test.

Chance: Speaking on that, you said you wanted admin integrated more into the design process, what does that look like?

VD: Well, I don't know what it would entail for president. I wasn't involved with admin this year, but I think admin should be involved in design more because past presidents said they wish they were involved in design more. I would like to take on projects for powertrain, certain things I want to do and want to grow as an engineer on the team.

CS: Does that entail restructuring the role or taking on more?

VD: A little bit of both. I think much of the role is taking other responsibilities from other roles and in that VP can do more. I would like to state that I am on the older side, and don't know if a presidential term is within my scope/timeline.

Emil: What's your biggest weakness? Give me one example of the time you were a leader.

VD: I'm gonna ignore you.

ES: What's your favorite color?

VD: Green.

ES: What's your favorite animal?

VD: Lion.

Valerie: What we do for VP is to try and have an educated president for next year. The only way you would look into that is if you had an internship, correct?

VD: Yes, as that would extend my stay at KSU. If I was VP and got an internship, I would try to make it's in Atlanta. I don't think balancing responsibilities would be much of an issue. I signed up for this and expect myself to fully commit to this and will accept criticism.

David: Oh nah, nevermind.

CM: I feel like that's less about your commitment and more that you might not be here for a presidential role. We should set up someone as VP who's willing/able to commit to president.

VD: Agree, but who?

ES: If you're looking at restructuring the roles, you can make president/VP more appealing to the general population because nobody wants to do it because they feel like they won't be able to do engineering work because of all the admin stuff.

VD: Something we could do is redefine what certain roles are and I think VP is certainly one of the



RS: Depends on the day?

Sam F: What's the capital of Assyria?

Adi: You said you want to improve what you want us to see doing better but is there anything you want to point out that we do well with the current leadership that we can carry on with?

RS: I will say, our current leadership does well in handling situations where we're totally fucked. I've seen that there will be people that step up, our admin and leaders are good at, like, when there's stuff to be done, they'll do it. Even when we're in the worst situation possible, we find a way out and on top of it. I'm very proud of the team and their effort this year.

Sam Y: Going back, it says that you want to be more transparent with faculty and stuff, with RSOs or whatever, what do you think is the benefit of being more concise and having better communication with faculty?

RS: I think the biggest thing they wanted from us was to see what's actually going on. Paul would focus a lot and constantly message me, but we should reach out to them, constantly having base updates. Like, Lockheed Martin's a school sponsor but we don't get anything. I talked to Paul to see if we could get anything from Lockheed, but they already sponsor the school.

SY: Going back to my question, what kind of support would you want to see from the faculty?

RS: More access to the shops is a big thing, like to have access here what can we do? Give them a list of people we can trust to run the machines, stuff like that with manufacturing is how they can support us. Financially, there's always audits and money coming in, just being financially because that's the thing they've been asking us a lot, like 'how are you doing with cash'? Seeing how much we've spent this year, how can we have more school support and how can we make that happen.

SY: I saw a lack of leadership on the team, what was a point where you had to take ownership of something and anything you'd like to talk about that?

Varun: Me personally, when I joined the team last year, I was figuring out how the team worked, there wasn't a point I could've done that

RS: Mainly, the school-Paul situation, he was upset and our president wasn't responding. Taking initiative and bringing us back to good terms. At EV comp, I feel like I could've done better. Helping to get the chassis's welded.

SY: What do you mean EV could've been better?

RS: I guess the day, with the timing of making things happening. Having a better itinerary of when I was out, when I was getting lunch. More for the comfort of the team.

CM: RN, what's your relationship with Paul?

RS: Good, he shows me stuff with his EV truck.

CM: So do you think it's better now?

RS: Definitely, I think it's gotten better with school events and attending & hosting. He's nonchalant, I'll say, sometimes, and he'll randomly say like a joke but he understands because he also did FSAE. Me and him were there talking at Formula South for a while, getting lore.

SY: I think one problem we had this year with faculty was, we had Steven as the communication for a lot of people on faculty. He pointed some people at Tyler, but many were still talking to Steven. How do you plan to address that?

RS: Yeah, I think that was an issue. I think it's because he was still their contact as motorsports leadership, I know they're asking what the new leadership is. I think transparency is important here about the transition of leadership and who the new leaders are. When we finalize everything, we'll let them know who the leadership is and who the main point of contact is.

Valerie: An issue we had this year was visibility in the shop of all of the leads. What are your current commitments throughout the year that you're expecting will, I know you're working, I know you're married now?

RS: I'll still have my other shit, it won't be like every week of course, but I'll let you guys know like, 'hey guys, I'll be out of office'. Stuff like if I travel or stuff I can't skip out of, I'll make y'all aware and let the VP know, have it to where if I know some shit's that week, this is what I want to do that week.

VS: Are you working right now?

RS: Summer, yes, but in the fall, it'll be like evening nighttime, not full-time, set days. I'll make it clear to faculty what my schedule is. They can tell me theirs and I can tell them mine, and it'll be a lot easier.

SY: So something we talked about in the debrief was accountability for Tyler's role. There are a lot of points where we could've held him more accountable. How do you think we as a team could hold you accountable?

RS: Call me out, like "hey we need you here". I mean, don't be rude, but like you have the right to hold us accountable. As I said, if shit happens, I will be clear of what's going on before disappearing. If something happens, I'll say "hey guys, I have to take this time off" as a heads up, so y'all aren't like "hey where's this guy at?".

Luis: do you have any plans for handling events like formula south?

RS: Yes, I've already been planning formula south, parking and stuff. They see FS as a staple event for KSU, and they want to see it ran better. The thing is, the reason why it started is because we will have a fuckton of freshmen. Closing off the parking lot on a Saturday is incredibly hard. I floated the idea of coming back to Marietta campus, but if we pick the same lot, it'll be hard because of stuff we left behind and it'll take some convincing. I wanna have a better idea of areas secured and a rough list of teams I wanna invite, like "do we even know if they're coming?". Something we talked about is bringing Daryl and Jim to show their bathtub to display. They were talking about SPSU heritage and they really liked the idea of showing the bathtub display to show what SPSU had before motorsports. Expanding it and having a more structured idea of planning and what team members jobs are gonna be and who's gonna be expected to be there and when. Even myself, I woke up late.

Dom: Do you know how you're gonna handle figuring out relations with teams at invitational?

RS: This year, we let Hytech come to our lots and stuff and we've got primary relations with other southern schools, just maintaining a positive relationship with them.

SY: Varun, does this mean if you're VP, you're gonna be business lead as well?

VD: Yes, one of the markers of success for me is being able to pass that off to a non-VP.

VS: Have you guys, both of you, planned to have relations with the new leads that are coming in? How are you gonna try and get along?

RS: MIXER AT OUR PLACE! [joking]

VD: Something we struggle with on this team is being able to criticize each other without getting personal, I'll be honest, I don't know if it's as much of an issue in my head, just get along lol. Just keeping it professional.

VS: How are you gonna deal with HR issues and disagreements?

RS: If there's a certain issue we'll have to talk to Santana and since we're an RSO we can't kick someone out without procedure. If it's like a regular dispute, just having a conversation with them.

VD: [Agreeing]. Just keeping a level head, just having the soft skills and people skills to convey ideas in a way that doesn't irritate people.

VS: If Carter and Chance start going at it right now, what would you do?

Carter: Alright I'll fuck your shit up Chance

VS: How do you guys plan to have more alumni relations?

VD: One thing we plan to have is alumni nights, like car reveal. They were a great opportunity last year for younger members to talk to older members.

RS: One thing we were doing well this year was, every time an alumni came by, we put em to work. A lot of the knowledge is like, on a beer with them. You've gotta chill with them and not make them do a task, and the only relations I saw this year were making them review design. We're not taking advantage of them, we want to increase bonding and seeing how the team's progressing.

VD: By doing these alumni nights, we give them better transparency, like "hey we're at this point, we need this" that way, the more we contact and engage with them, the more likely they are to give us help when needed.

RS: Thank you John's truck. For real.

VS: On the spot, what's an activity we can all do after this?

RS: That weather, fucking drenched. Let's go to that soccer field! Play soccer!

VD: Something I want to do is more social activities that aren't just getting blackout drunk. On weekends, we can go play soccer, I really like the fact that some of these guys go dirtbiking.

ES: No, fuck these guys.

RS: Seeing this mf rip that bike, that's scary. Chance don't give no fucks.

RS: When I first joined the team, I remember everyone would go home and play games, like CS:GO.

VD: Something from the fall was like, barbecue at the shop. Doesn't have to be at the shop, just some social events like that, maybe on Fridays.

RS: Potlucks are good, if people have houses they're willing to host at.

VD: First thing I'm doing as VP is banning all hawk tuah jokes.

[Collective groaning, jeering, and booing]

