Candela is an open-source suite of interoperable web visualization components for Kitware's Resonant platform. Candela focuses on making scalable, rich visualizations available with a normalized API for use in real-world data science applications. Integrated components include:
- :ref:`lineup_comp` component: LineUp dynamic ranking by the Harvard University Visual Computing Group and the Caleydo project.
- :ref:`upset_comp` component: UpSet set visualization by the Harvard University Visual Computing Group and the Caleydo project.
- :ref:`onset_comp` component: OnSet set visualization by the Georgia Institute of Technology Information Interfaces Group.
- Vega visualizations by the University of Washington Interactive Data Lab. Example component: :ref:`scatterplot`.
- GeoJS geospatial visualizations by Kitware's Resonant platform. Example component: :ref:`geodots`.
Enter the following in a text file named
.. literalinclude:: static/index.html :language: html :linenos:
index.htmlin your browser to display the resulting visualization.
Quick start - Python
Make sure you have Python 2.7 and pip installed (on Linux and OS X systems, your local package manager should do the trick; for Windows, see here).
Open a shell (e.g. Terminal on OS X; Bash on Linux; or Command Prompt on Windows) and issue this command to install the Candela package and the Requests library for obtaining sample data from the web:
pip install pycandela requests
(On UNIX systems you may need to do this as root, or with
Issue this command to start Jupyter notebook server in your browser:
Create a notebook from the New menu and enter the following in a cell, followed by Shift-Enter to execute the cell and display the visualization:
import requests data = requests.get( 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/vega/vega-datasets/gh-pages/data/iris.json' ).json() import pycandela pycandela.components.ScatterPlot( data=data, color='species', x='sepalLength', y='sepalWidth')
Quick start - R
Download and install RStudio.
Run the following commands to install Candela:
install.packages('devtools') devtools::install_github('Kitware/candela', subdir='R/candela')
Issue these commands to display a scatter plot of the
library(candela) candela('ScatterPlot', data=mtcars, x='mpg', y='wt', color='disp')
.. toctree:: :maxdepth: 2 :caption: Using Candela installation versioning
.. toctree:: :maxdepth: 1 :caption: Components components/barchart components/boxplot components/ganttchart components/geo components/geodots components/glo components/histogram components/linechart components/lineup components/onset components/scatterplot components/scatterplotmatrix components/sententree components/similaritygraph components/treeheatmap components/upset
.. toctree:: :maxdepth: 2 :caption: API documentation candela-js candela-py candela-r
.. toctree:: :maxdepth: 2 :caption: Developer documentation coding-style-guide releasing-candela testing