Kong Ingress Controller for Kubernetes (KIC)
Use Kong for Kubernetes Ingress. Configure plugins, health checking, load balancing, and more in Kong for Kubernetes Services, all using Custom Resource Definitions (CRDs) and Kubernetes-native tooling.
Features | Get started | Documentation | main branch builds | Seeking help
- Ingress routing Use Ingress resources to configure Kong.
- Enhanced API management using plugins Use a wide array of plugins to monitor, transform and protect your traffic.
- Native gRPC support Proxy gRPC traffic and gain visibility into it using Kong's plugins.
- Health checking and Load-balancing Load balance requests across your pods and supports active & passive health-checks.
- Request/response transformations Use plugins to modify your requests/responses on the fly.
- Authentication Protect your services using authentication methods of your choice.
- Declarative configuration for Kong Configure all of Kong using CRDs in Kubernetes and manage Kong declaratively.
- Gateway Discovery Monitors your Kong Gateways and pushes configuration to all replicas.
You can use Minikube or Kind on your local machine or use a hosted Kubernetes service like GKE.
Setting up Kong for Kubernetes is as simple as:
# using YAMLs $ kubectl apply -f https://bit.ly/k4k8s # or using Helm $ helm repo add kong https://charts.konghq.com $ helm repo update # Helm 3 $ helm install kong/kong --generate-name --set ingressController.installCRDs=false
Once installed, please follow the Getting Started guide to start using Ingress in your Kubernetes cluster.
Note: Kong Enterprise users, please follow along with our enterprise guide to setup the enterprise version.
Release builds of Kong Ingress Controller can be found on Docker Hub in kong/kubernetes-ingress-controller repository.
At the moment we're providing images for:
main branch builds
Nightly pre-release builds of the
main branch are available from the
kong/nightly-ingress-controller repository hosted on Docker Hub:
main contains unreleased new features for upcoming minor and major releases:
docker pull kong/nightly-ingress-controller:nightly
All documentation for the Kong Ingress Controller is present in the kong/docs.konghq.com repository. Pull Requests are welcome for additions and corrections.
Guides and Tutorials
Please browse through the guides to get started and to learn specific ingress controller operations.
Please search through the FAQs, posts on the discussions page or the Kong Nation Forums as it's likely that another user has run into the same problem. If you don't find an answer, please feel free to post a question.
If you've found a bug, please open an issue.
For a feature request, please open an issue using the feature request template.
You can also talk to the developers behind Kong in the #kong channel on the Kubernetes Slack server.
You can join monthly meetups hosted by Kong to ask questions, provide feedback, or just to listen and hang out. See the Online Meetups Page to sign up and receive meeting invites and Zoom links.
Preview and Experimental Features
At any time the KIC may include features or options that are considered experimental and are not enabled by default, nor available in the Kong Documentation Site.
To try out new features that are behind feature gates, please see the preview features in FEATURE_GATES.md and documentation for these preview features can be found in FEATURE_PREVIEW_DOCUMENTATION.md.