About this repository
This repository holds OpenSCAD modules for frequently used 3D printer parts. The modules should be written in such a way as to make it easy to incorporate them into larger designs for specific labware.
What is OpenSCAD?
OpenSCAD is an open-source cross-platform (Windows/Linux/Mac OSX) 3D CAD modeler based on the OpenSCAD programming language. As a programmable modeler, it is not a drag & drop interactive 3D designer but an actual code-based solution to making complex 3D models. It has a slightly steeper learning curve than drag & drop software like TinkerCAD, however, once familiar with its basic syntax, it is immensely powerful and allows for complex, 100% reproducible 3D designs that are easy to customize and share across designs by writing them as modules. Because OpenSCAD designs are literally just text-based script files, they are also perfect for collaboration and version control on GitHub.
Quick descriptions of some of the modules in this repository and what they may be useful for:
- box: generate box for electronics with lid and container components (the serial device housings are examples of this)
- screws: add different types of screws to your design
- panel mounts: various cutouts for panels (power plugs, switches, etc.)
- LCD module: insert LCD holder into a surface
- stepper holder module: generate NEMA stepper motor holders
For more details, look into the individual
.scad code files and view the
.stl files for rendered examples.