This Repo is cloned from original solely to build an AppImage
RasterView (macOS name) or rasterview (Linux name) is a small GUI application spezialized to visualize CUPS-, PWG- and Apple-raster files as they are generated by CUPS and other software to print to AirPrint capable or IPP Everywhere compliant printers.
It allows you to look at the (multipage) raster data produced for printing by any of the standard CUPS RIP filters (cgpdftoraster, imagetoraster, pdftoraster, and pstoraster). It is normally used to either test those filters or visualize at the data that is being sent to your raster printer driver. Additionally it is able to display the 'Page Attributes' which are embedded into the data to control the behavior of printer drivers
RasterView is free software written by Mike Sweet and provided under version 2 of the GNU General Public license.
More information can be found at:
AppImage binary for Linux users
Experimental releases of binary 'AppImage' builds for 64bit Linux users are available from Kurt Pfeifle's forked repository:
To use these for testing:
- Download the current .AppImage
- Make it executable:
chmod +x rasterview-*.AppImage
See below how to generate CUPS-, PWG- and Apple-raster test files.
If you plan on (re)compiling it, you'll need FLTK 1.3.x (http://www.fltk.org/) and a C++ compiler.
How to Compile
Run the following commands:
How to Use
The program is called "rasterview" on UNIX/Linux and "RasterView.app" on macOS. Run the program and then open a raster file, or pass the filename on the command-line. You can view multiple files simultaneously.
The "test" subdirectory in the sources includes a script for generating raster data using the standard RIP filters. Run the following command for help:
RasterView is Copyright © 2002-2018 by Michael R Sweet.
RasterView is provided under the terms of the Apache License, Version 2.0. A
copy of this license can be found in the file
LICENSE. Additional legal
information is provided in the file
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
Changes in v1.6 - 2018-01-21
- Now licensed under the Apache License Version 2.0.
- Fixed support for 16-bit per color files.
- Added support for gzip'd raster files (Issue #7)
Changes in v1.5 - 2017-03-22
- Added support for Apple raster files.
Changes in v1.4.1 - 2015-08-27
- Fixed the dependency on strlcpy.
Changes in v1.4 - 2015-08-26
- Added support for Device-N raster files.
- Colorants can now be changed for Device-N, K, CMY, and CMYK raster files.
- Attributes for PWG Raster files are now reported using the PWG 5102.4 naming and contents.
Changes in v1.3 - 2011-05-18
- Added support for PWG Raster files (requires CUPS 1.5 or higher)
Changes in v1.2.2 - 2007-06-21
- Added range checks to the page reader so that pages larger than 64MB or with invalid dimensions will not cause the program to crash.
Changes in v1.2.1 - 2006-09-28
- Changed the default scheme to gtk+, which is available in FLTK 1.1.8 and higher.
- Added a --enable-static configure option to use the static CUPS libraries.
Changes in v1.2 - 2006-05-13
- First public release.