Table of Contents
- Getting a Gig
- Picking an Offer
- Making the Most of Your New Job
Getting a Gig
- Cassidy Williams' Guide for Getting a Gig
Oriented towards college students.
- A Freshman's Guide to Tech Internships
Specifically written for college first-years. Tons of information about what companies are looking for, as well as a list of freshman-specific and freshman-friendly programs.
- How to cold-email a startup into giving you an internship
- The Code2040 Fellows Program
Career launching program for Black & Latinx engineering students.
- Cracking the Coding Resume
More free resources from the author of Cracking the Coding Interview: link
- 5 Ways to Get More Work + Skills Experience
- How to come up with side project ideas
- Also see Open Source resources in the Learning Resources file
As soon as you're at this stage of getting a gig, go read the negotiation articles below; don't wait until you get an offer. Negotiation starts when you're asked for your previous and/or expected salary, which may be in your first conversation with a recruiter.
- Intern Supply
- Sudo Hoot Job Board
- Tech Ladies Job Board
- Women Who Code Job Board
Recruiting & mini-mentoring for diverse & non-traditional technical talent.
- Antia Borg Institute's Job Board
- Tech Interview Handbook
- Get that job at Google
Google recruiter-recommended article on how to prepare (long-term) for algorithms interviews.
- Tech Interview Cheat Sheet
Studying for a Tech Interview Sucks, so Here's a Cheat Sheet to Help
- Code Interview Resource Board
Trello board with lists of different coding interview resources (articles, guides, books, etc.)
- 100 Must Know Algorithms
Massive list of algorithms to brush up on
- More coding interview resources
Everything you need to kick ass on your coding interview
- CS Interview Guide
A short guide on preparing for computer science interviews
- Job Puzzles
Solved Programming Challenges on website of various Companies
- Interview Resources
Long list of resources for preparing for technical computer engineering interviews
- Code Problems
Common code and interview problems solved in multiple languages
An open source list of developer questions to ask prospective employers
- Awesome Interview Questions
A curated awesome list of lists of interview questions. All the languages you could think of
- How to Prepare for Tech Interviews
Another great guide someone posted on Reddit about how to prepare for tech interviews
- How to Pass a Programming Interview
A guide to passing programming interviews
- Front End Developer Interview Questions
Tons of them. From HTML5 Boilerplate.
- Front End Interview Questions (That JS Dude)
More front-end/JS/web dev questions
- 123 Essential JS Interview Questions
Basically a whole book of JS interview questions
- Back-End Developer Interview Questions by tvandame Has a Korean translation
- Back-End Developer Interview Questions by arialdomartini Has a Chinese translation
Algorithms resources in the Learning Resources file.
- 15 Rules for Negotiating a Job Offer
General negotiation overview - a good starter for anyone.
- Ten Rules for Negotiating a Job Offer
Very comprehensive guide to the full process of negotiation.
- The Negotiator
This is a great negotiation overview targeted to women from LSH member Anastasia.
- How to answer "What's your expected salary?" Not giving an answer to this question sets you up for success, and here's how to do so.
- How to counter-offer (negotiation script) How much should you ask for in advance? Here's a calculator and script to guide you through the process.
- Bullish: How To Ask For More Money, Part I &
(Linked to in The Negotiator.) Drums up the mindset, specifically for women, to ask for more money and explains how to go for it. This is a must-read if you're not confident about asking for more money.
- Salary Negotiation: Make More Money, Be More Valued
(Linked to in The Negotiator.) Explains why and how all programmers should negotiate. Also a mindset-changer, not just a how-to.
- How I negotiated for an additional $15,000 at Yammer
This is a more personal take on negotiation, if you've read the rules but are afraid of how it will feel to negotiate in reality.
- Minute-Zero In The Gender Pay Gap
The title is somewhat misleading; this article really provides a set of specific tactics for how to handle some of the toughest situations that inevitably come up during negotiation.
Picking an Offer
- 80,000 Hours' Make a Decision Tool
This is a decision-making tool which prompts you with reflective questions to cut past bad intuition and identify where you need more information before making a final decision.
- Questions to Ask Interviewers
These are great questions to ask at the end of an interview, or when you're deciding among offers.
- The Open Guide to Equity Compensation
This clears away the confusion around stock compensation, and lets you understand exactly what you're being offered. Then, using the ideas and tactics learned from the negotiation articles above, you can get more.
- How Startup Options (and Ownership) Works
Equity at start-ups is potentially even more confusing, and yet even more crucial (since early-stage start-ups often offer smaller salaries or none at all). Learn about how start-up options work, and the surprising/disastrous effects that venture capitalists' terms can have on your own end payout.
Making the Most of Your New Job
- How to succeed at your software engineering internship
Congrats on the internship! Now learn how to make the most of it.
- Jr. Developer series
So you've conquered the internship hurdle and are now at your first full-time tech job. It's normal to feel overwhelmed. Here's cheerful advice on how to get past those mental hurdles and get things done.
- Cute & Classy Work Outfits Not sure what to wear on the job? Check out this Pinterest board to get inspired!