Windows 10 IoT Core for Pine64 Release Note (Beta_20160809)
Release Date: 2016-08-09
Kernel Version: Windows 10 IoT Core version 1511
This is the first released version of Windows 10 IoT Core for Pine 64. Only part of features enabled and we will keep developing and update in time.This document will introduce how to deploy Windows 10 IoT Core to a Pine 64 board and note known issues.
There are 3 tools that can be used to flash the ffu to a Pine64 board:
- Using Windows 10 IoT Dash Board;
- Using "IoTCoreImageHelper" tool which is part of "IoT Core Kits";
- Using "dism.exe" in under "C:\Windows\System32".
Notice: In fact, both tool 1 and tool 2 depend on "dism.exe". They just provide a graphic user interface to call "dism.exe".
- Switch to "Set up a new device" tab;
- Select "Custom" option for "Device type". Click "browse" button to pick your ffu file and select a correct drive;
- Provide some provision information such as device name, password and wlan profile;
- Check the licence item box to accept the software licence and install.
PS: After the progress finished, an error message "Failed to write provisioning file to microSD card" will be shown. The reason is that "IoT Dash Board" cannot write the provision configuration(device name, password & wlan profile) into microSD card. We are dealing with this issue. Please just ignore. Device name and password will be set to default.
This tool is very simple. Just select the SD card and browse to pick image file to flash.
How to get this tool:
Download the Raspberry Pi setup tool from here and install. Then get the "IoTCoreImageHelper" tool under the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft IoT" directory.
- Start command prompt as an administrator;
- Insert your microSD card to your PC;
- Type "diskpart" to enter diskpart tool, then type "list disk" to show all disks;
- Note the disk ID of your microSD card(0, 1 or 2 etc);
DISKPART\> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt ---------------------------------------------------- Disk 0 Online 931 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 7456 MB 5120 KB *
Type command below to flash image to SD card.
Dism.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:[ffu_path] /ApplyDrive:\\.\PhysicalDrive[disk_number] /SkipPlatformCheck
Notice: Please confirm the disk id seriously. It may damage your important data if flashing a wrong disk.
- Connect the network of board to your computer.
- Open a web browser and type address
- Login as default account whose username and password is
- Start PowerShell as an administrator.
- From the PowerShell console, type the following command to start a remote session:
//Start Windows Remote Management net start WinRM //Add destination host to trusted hosts list. You can use an IP address as a value. Set-Item WSMan:\localhost\Client\TrustedHosts -Value [Hostname or IP address] //Start a PowerShell remote session. Enter-PSSession -ComputerName [Hostname or IP address] -Credential [Hostname or IP address]\[username]
PS: The default username and password is
- Wifi and Ethernet are not available. Please use a USB ethernet adapter or USB wifi adapter instead temporarily.
- USB port is not available directly. If you want to use some USB devices including USB wifi and ethernet adapter, please use a USB hub as intermediary.
- When booting, it's possible to throw an error of KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE. You can just ignore it and retry about 2-3 times. It will bring up successfully.
We will fix these issues and update the image as soon as possible.