The Complete DevOps Glossary - Covering DevOps from A to Z.
" Alphabetically arranged reference work that gives brief definitions of words related to a specific topic. Also called controlled vocabulary." - Source
Choose your alphabet:
- AWS - A cloud computing platform offering ready to use web services which are loosely coupled.
- Ansible - An agent-less orchestration engine that can automate application and systems.
- Aptly - A Debian repository management tool
- Artifactory - JFrog’s open source binary repository management product with support for Apache Maven artifacts.
- Asgard - A netflix web interface tool for AWS Cloud Management and application deployment.
- Atom - Atom is a text editor that's modern, approachable, yet hackable to the core—a tool you can customize to do anything but also use productively without ever touching a config file.
- Awsbox - A featherweight DYI PaaS on top of awscloud EC2 for deploying node apps.
- Beats - An open source collectors for log files, infrastructure metrics, and other important types of data agitation.
- Berkshelf - Cookbook source manager for chef, similar to a bundler for ruby.
- Buildbot - An open-source framework for automating software build, test and release process.
- Bento - A project that encapsulates Packer templates for building Vagrant base boxes.
- BuildMaster - An automated deployment tool. It combines features to manage and automate processes primarily related to continuous integration, database change scripts, and production deployments.
- Brooklyn - Focused on deployment & post deployment life-cycle management, aware of network typologies integrates with clouds.
- Barkeep - Code review tool for git projects, focused on code reviewing, can support both pre & post commit workflows.
- Consul - Makes it simple for services to register themselves and to discover other services via a DNS or HTTP interface.
- Chef - Configuration management tool which uses a pure-Ruby, DSL for writing system configuration recipes.
- CoreOS - Lightweight OS that support containers out of the box. Can be used as base OS to run your own PaaS
- CfEngine - First of its kind. Configuration Management tool, automates large scale, complex infrastructure.
- Collectd - Demon to collect system performance statistics periodically & provides tons of plugins to analyze values.
- Chocolatey - It is apt-get for windows. Can install packages & dependencies over CLI.
- CruiseControl - A CI server written in #Ruby with a focus on simplicity & being easy to hack.
- Capistrano - A remote server automation and deployment tool written in Ruby.
- Credmgr - Securely manage privileged account credentials via Shamir secret sharing. Its like one passwd for DevOps.
- ConDep - An opensource infrastructure configuration & deployment DSL specifically targeted (not limited) to Windows platform.
- CMB(Cloud Message Bus) - A highly available, horizontally scalable queuing & notification service compatible to AWS SQS, SNS.
- Docker - Package an application with all of its dependencies into a standardized unit for software development. Build, Ship, Run.
- Deis - Open Source Application Platform For Public and Private Clouds. Its built on Docker & CoreOs.
- Drone - A Continuous Integration platform built on Docker, written in Go.
- Dokku - Docker powered mini-Heroku, a smallest PaaS implementation you've ever seen around 100 lines of Bash.
- Deploykit - Collection of Ruby daemons flying in close formation. AKA our startling message-based deploy environment.
- Djangy - An open source cloud hosting service for Python/Django web apps. Its like Heroku for Python/Django.
- Diamond - Diamond is a python daemon that collects system metrics and publishes them to Graphite (and others).
- Etcd - A highly-available key value store for shared configuration and service discovery.
- Eucalyptus - An open source software for building AWS - compatible private and hybrid clouds.
- Fig - A package management tool, similar to APT, language agnostic, faster and works well with both executable and libraries.
- Foreman - A complete lifecycle management tool for physical and virtual servers.
- Fpm - Effing package management! Build packages for multiple platforms (deb, rpm, etc) with great ease and sanity.
- Flynn - An open source PaaS platform built on Docker awesomely manages deploying, scaling your applications.
- Fabric - A command-line tool for streamlining use of SSH for application deployment or systems administration tasks.
- FAI Fully Automatic Installer - Tool for mass unattained deployments of Linux.
- Flannel - etcd backed network fabric for containers
- Git - An awesome tool to version your source code and collaborate.
- Graphite - A visualization tool for statistics. One can create customizable reports and dashboards.
- Ganglia - A salable distributed monitoring system for high-performance computing systems such as clusters & grids.
- Gradle - A project automation tool that builds upon the concepts of #Apache Ant and Apache Maven.
- Grafana - An open source feature rich metrics dashboard and graph editor for Graphite, InfluxDB & OpenTSDB.
- GoCD - release management tool,build from ground up with pipelines in mind & makes easy to model complex deployment work-flow.
- Heroku - Platform as a service (PaaS) that enables developers to build and run applications entirely in the cloud.
- Icinga - A monitoring system checking hosts & services you specify & notifying when things go wrong & they recover.
- Jenkins - It is an open-source, lightweight CI tool written in Java, with high extensibility and a fast release cycle.
- Jcloud - Apache jclouds, an open source multi-cloud toolkit for the Java platform, apps are portable across clouds.
- Juju - An orchestration tool allows software to be quickly deployed, integrated & scaled public/private/hybrid cloud.
- Kubernetes - An opensource system for managing containerized applications providing deployment & scaling of apps.
- Kickstart - Uses bash scripts to provision machines over ssh, with no client installation on the target.
- Kibana - an open source (Apache Licensed), browser based analytic and search dashboard for Elasticsearch.
- Kafka - distributed, partitioned, replicated commit log service.
- Logstash - A data pipeline that helps you process logs and other event data from a variety of systems.
- Log.io - A Real-time log monitoring in your browser. Broadcasting logs to the web clients.
- Loom - Does stuff Puppet doesn't do well or at all bootstrapping machines deploying code & installing reusable modules.
- Logster - Utility for reading logs & generating metrics to configurable outputs. Graphite, CloudWatch, Nagios & stdout.
- Memcached - An open-source high performance, distributed memory object caching system.
- Mcollective - A framework for building server orchestration or parallel job execution systems.
- Mina - Deployment tool, lets you build and run scripts to manage your app deployments on servers via SSH.
- Nomad - A Hashicorp product; is a cluster manager & scheduler designed for microservices and batch workloads.
- Openstack - An open source, massively salable cloud operating system used for building private & public cloud.
- Opsbot - A pluggable, configurable bot for improving communication in operations.
- OpsGenie - Tools you need to design meaningful, actionable alerts and ensure the right people are notified.
- OSV - An operating System for lightweight virtual machines, designed for ground up to run single application, similar to CoreOS.
- Otto - successor to Vagrant is single solution to develop, deploy application with firstclass support to microservices.
- Orc - A model driven orchestration tool for the deployment of application clusters written in Ruby.
- Opskelaton - Bootstrap DevOps infra with some opinionated defaults(vagrant chef puppet) standard development guidelines.
- Overcast - CLI for ease to spinup configure & manage clusters without learning curve or complexity of existing management tools.
- Openshift - Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) that allows developers to quickly develop, host, and scale applications in a cloud environment.
- Packer - A tool for creating identical machine images for multiple platforms from a single source configuration
- Pagerduty - A tool which would help us to increase the uptime of our apps, services, and infrastructure.
- Poni - Systems management tool for defining, deploying and verifying complex multi-node computer systems.
- Pulp - A platform for managing repositories of content, such as software packages.
- Prometheus - open-source service monitoring system and time series database.
- RabbitMQ - RabbitMQ is a queuing tool for DevOps engineers. Supports a large no. of development platforms.
- Rundeck - A cross-platform opensource software, helps automate ad-hoc & routine procedures in data-center or cloud environment.
- rkt - CLI for running app containers on Linux. rkt is designed to be composable, secure, and fas.
- Rudder - An easy to use, web-driven, role-based solution for IT Infrastructure Automation.
- Rex - An agent less orchestration tool written in simple perl.
- Riemann - Riemann monitors distributed systems.
- Sensu - A simple & scalable monitoring framework which is designed for cloud.
- Simian Army - A tool for testing & promoting infrastructure tolerance & high availability.
- Snort - An open-source IPS. It provides real-time traffic analysis and packet logging for DevOps engineers.
- SumoLogic - Centralized Log Analysis tool, which scale to any data volume and query performance.
- Serf - A lightweight & decentralized solution for cluster membership, failure detection & orchestration.
- SaltStack - Configuration Management software, delivers fast, scalable event-driven infrastructure automation & predictive cloud orchestration.
- Slaughter - A perl tool for automating configuration maintenance & management of large number of systems.
- StackStorm - Event-driven automation used for auto-healing, security responses, troubleshooting, complex deployments.
- Sequencer - Open-Source Software that can ping, power off and power on your whole cluster.
- Sunzi - Shell-based provisioning tool which does not try to do anything else. Has no dependency other than shell.
- Sysdig - An open source, system level exploration: capture system state & activity in linux instance save, filter & analyze.
- Semaphore - A hosted continuous integration and deployment service for open source and private projects.
- Sublime-Text - Sublime Text is a cross-platform source code editor with a Python application programming interface (API). It natively supports many programming languages and markup languages, and its functionality can be extended by users with plugins, typically community-built.
- SignalFx - Monitoring and Operational Intelligence for the Cloud.
- Terraform - A tool used in building, changing, and versioning the infrastructure across platforms.
- Test Kitchen - A test harness tool to execute your configured code on one or more platforms in isolation.
- Tsuru - An extensible and open source Platform as a Service; that uses Docker to make deploys simple & fast.
- TeamCity - A feature packed CI tool with out-of-the-box support for java, ruby .Net, & many other languages.
- Travis CI - A Continuos Integration tool easy to integrate with Github Projects
- Vagrant - It is a cross platform tool to create, boot, configure and destroy development environments.
- Veewee - A tool for easily & repeatedly building custom Vagrant base boxes, KVMs, & virtual machine images.
- Vagrant-lxc - Vagrant plugin that allows it to control and provision Linux Containers as an alternative to the built in VirtualBox provider for Linux host.
- Vaurien - A Chaos Monkey for TCP conn. Randomly disconnects/stalls TCP connections in app to test tolerance and HA.
- VMFest - a PalletOps project turns VirtualBox into light-weight cloud provider. Useful in developing cloud automation.
- Weave - Virtual network that connects Docker containers deployed across multiple hosts & enables automatic discovery.
- Zabbix - An opensource, enterprise-class network monitoring framework.
- Zookeeper - A centralized service for maintaining configuration information, naming, providing group services etc.
Contributions are welcome!
This repo is just getting started, please contribute to make it super fun.
Check out the Contributing Guidelines.
devops-glossary by The Remote Lab is licensed under the Apache 2.0 License.
See the License for more info.