A series of three 2-hour talks/workshops which I gave as the main part of CodeWeekend, leading up to the Fall 2014 PennApps hackathon. They were preceded by a workshop (not given by me) covering installation, setup, using the command line, and some basic HTML/CSS/JS. You can probably find video recordings here.
The three talks were on:
Intro to Node.js
- Node.js basics
- Templates, sessions, middlewares
- Simple form processing
Intro to APIs
- What APIs are, how they work, why we use them
- Sending HTTP requests from Node
- Authenticating with an API via OAuth
- Sending emails and Venmo payments
Intro to MongoDB
- MongoDB: what, why, how, basic commands
- MongoDB with Node: why, how
- Saving and retrieving notes and payments from Node
The workshops build on each other and the materials include milestones/checkpoints in the progression of the code. These materials will likely be reused and/or adapted in the future for similar applications.