Introduction to PaSSHport
What is PaSSHport ?
PaSSHport is a software that allows you to control the SSH access of your IT components : Linux/Unix servers, network switchs, routers, WiFi access points, and any appliances that is accessed by SSH. In three words : who accesses what ?
PaSSHport has been written with the following in mind :
- Similar to SSHgate
- Two main objects : targets and users (we'll see below what are those)
- Objects can be grouped : targetgroups and usergroups
- Record all sessions of users
- Can be fully configure and used from the command line interface
- Can do Secured Copy (scp)
- REST API based communication between components so that it can be easily integrated in an automated IT environment
- Use only OpenSource technologies
Please read below to understand the main components, and how they work together.
PaSSHport project is composed with 3 main programs :
- passhportd : the daemon that verify access rights, and store configuration
- passhport : the script that receive the connection (it does NOT replace the SSH server). Think of it has the shell a user falls into when connecting to a PaSSHport gateway
- passhport-admin : the script that is used to configure passhportd. SysAdmins will use it to add a user, a target, a usergroup, a targetgroup, and combine those to configure accesses
Now let's go to the installation process…