Lightstreamer - Quickstart Example - .NET Client
The Quickstart Example provides the source code to build a very simple and basic client application, used to test the capability of the Client APIs to connect and receive data from Lightstreamer Server. The example can be used to familiarize with the Client APIs and as a reference on how to use them, and can be used as a starting point for client application implementations.
This project contains the C# source files of a sample application, which shows how the Lightstreamer .NET Standard Client API can be used to connect to Lightstreamer Server.
TestClient.cs file contains the source
Main(). It basically connects to the server and performs a subscription, printing on the console the incoming Item Updates.
The test includes the necessary code and a sample configuration file for Library logging through Log4Net.
To build and install a version of this demo, pointing to your local Lightstreamer Server instance, follow the steps below.
- The Quickstart Example needs both the PORTFOLIO_ADAPTER (see the Lightstreamer - Portfolio Demo - Java Adapter), and the QUOTE_ADAPTER (see the Lightstreamer - Stock-List Demo - Java Adapter). Therefore, as a prerequisite, the full version of the Lightstreamer - Portfolio Demo - Java Adapter has to be deployed on your local Lightstreamer Server instance. Please follow the instruction in Install the Portfolio Demo to install it.
- Get the binaries files of the library (
Lightstreamer_DotNet_Standard_Client.pdb) from NuGet Lightstreamer.DotNetStandard.Client or use directly the Package Manager Console
Install-Package Lightstreamer.DotNetStandard.Client. Then copy them into the
libdirectory of the project.
- Get the
Log4Net.dll, from http://logging.apache.org/log4net/download_log4net.cgi, and copy it into the
libdirectory of the project.
- Create a new C# project (we used Microsoft's Visual Studio 2017): from the "New Project..." wizard, choose the "Console Application" template, and use "quickstart" as project name.
- Choose as
Target framework.NET Framework 4.6.1.
- From the "Solution Explorer", delete the default
- Add a reference to the Lightstreamer .NET Standard Client library and the Log4net library: go to the "Browse" tab of the "Add Reference" dialog and point to the
Log4Net.dllfiles in the
- Add the
TestTableListener.cs, and the
Log4NetLogging.csfiles from the "Add -> Existing Item" dialog.
- Build the
quickstart.exefile: from the Build menu, choose "Build Solution".
- Run the demo. The host name and the port number of the Lightstreamer server have to be passed to the application as command line arguments.
> quickstart.exe localhost 8080
Please refer to the instructions included in the source file for more details on how to configure and run the test.
Lightstreamer Adapters Needed by These Clients
- Lightstreamer - Stock-List Demo - Java Adapter
- Lightstreamer - Portfolio Demo - Java Adapter
- Lightstreamer - Reusable Metadata Adapters - Java Adapter
Lightstreamer Compatibility Notes
- Compatible with Lightstreamer .NET Standard Client Library version 4.0.0 or newer.
- Ensure that .NET Standard Client API is supported by Lightstreamer Server license configuration.