--- This repository was an experiment. ---
I have moved on and am no supporting this project any more. I have given ownership of the name on NPM to @chjj. This project is not maintained.
Zest for Node.JS
What is Zest?
To my dismay, there aren't really any "full-featured" frameworks for NodeJS. I needed a framework with flexibilities that just aren't supported by any node.js frameworks that I've come across yet, so I wrote my own. This framework aims to be as flexible as possible while making development as fast as possible and not forcing you to use anything that you don't need.
What does it do?
Well, right now it doesn't do much. I've just started it, but for now we have this:
- Flexible URL routing. You simply provide a list of URLs to zest.http.server, and it will route them to whatever views it needs to. Currently, the following types of URLs are supported:
- Regular Expressions (automatically passes matches as arguments)
- Static strings (no dynamic strings, so no argument support)
- Templating with support for the following template languages
What is planned?
There are a lot of planned features for Zest. Initially, I want to see a framework where every componenet is generally usable and flexible enough to be extended. I will be adding the following to reach this goal:
- More basic HTTP tools
- More flexible template loading, with multiple loader backends
- Support for automatic HTML form generation
- Object Relational Mapping (unless someone shows me something worth the dependancy)
After this, I will be looking into expanding the current feature set with more additions and interesting features.
How does it work?
Here is a simple usage example: https://gist.github.com/3108135
Note that you could also use a template in a directory called
a file called
home.jade in it, and your application could simply use this
module.exports = home: (request, response) -> response.render 'home.jade'
You can also pass an object as the secondary argument which can contain any variables that will be exposed in home.jade for your template to make use of.